Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· 64-67 Expert
9,659 Posts
It's a '69 360 HP 2 bolt block with the small valve heads. I had the same thing once upon a time. Looking at the lifter bores, it looks like a great casting with no core shift, and the cylinders don't look ridged and look like they may be standard. Definitely worth a trip to the machine shop to verify, but looks like a solid core to rebuild. 428's are pretty rare these days and make a good base for a street performer.

· 64-67 Expert
9,659 Posts
Sorry, I missed both the block date and the fact that there was a YH in 1969 as Jim pointed out.

Okay, I might be really loopy tonight, but neither the crank nor the caps are anywhere near being for a 428 Pontiac. They just don't make that big of hammer to beat it in place, and I swear the only thing I've been drinking is coffee. I couldn't find 428 photos so I'll make do with a photo of 3-1/4" 455 crank and caps. The above photos in post #10 look like something for a 4-bannger engine consider the narrow width of the rod journals and the small mains (and thrust is on #3 on that small crank).
View attachment 161138 View attachment 161139
I pointed out in post #3 that it was a '69 360 HP engine. Two bolt main. I had one just like it. Many engines are cast late in the year prior to the model year. Thus, a '68 cast date for a '69 model year car. The crank and caps pictured appear to be Model A or B Ford. It's a 4 banger with not much counterbalance. Could be an old Dodge, etc. too. Or a zillion others. I still have the crank out of my '69 428 and it is available. It'll need work, but it's a factory GM 428 crank. The shipping would likely make it cost prohibitive.

· 64-67 Expert
9,659 Posts
Great information, I’ve never heard of the shake n bake before but I’m going to look into it around here, everybody I knew “hot tanked “ them but I’m talking about back in the day. Your block looks great like new ! Hopefully this one hasn’t been punched out too many times, I’ll get a measurement before anything else, how big is too far gone? Thanks!
To me, looking at the tops of the cylinders, it looks like it has never been punched out. Looks like a virgin std. bore block to me. I always try to go as little as possible oversize. .020" or .030". .060" oversize for this era of Pontiac block is about the limit. I like the idea of someone long after I'm gone being able to rebuild my engines again and enjoy them in the future decades from now. And not do an LS swap. LOL...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts