Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
547 Posts
Thanks for all the input, I’ll get a better look at everything tomorrow and wire brush the head numbers, couldn’t tell if it is 46 or 48. Should I wipe or spray everything with motor oil or is there something better for protection ? till I can get it to a shop. Thanks ! I’ll look at that crank too, it was laying next to the engine so I grabbed it, could be from something else. There’s another Pontiac block with attached heads but it’s been outside half buried in the ground for who knows how long, I might get a better look at it soon.
i would spray pb blaster or wd 40 then wipe down with oil or trans fluid.im sure there are better options. this is one of many.

· Registered
547 Posts
Well the old goats are again correct, that crank & caps are not from that block, would they be of use to anyone ? and it’s a 1968 428 block # 9792968
& #46 heads, if I build it would 4 bolt mains be necessary or even possible on this block? Here’s a pic of the area, there are holes with short studs, can they tap those holes for bolts ? View attachment 161140
the aftermarket caps are drilled in two bolt blocks all the time.those other holes on your block are for the dowels to locate the caps. two bolts are pretty stout but if you cant find the original caps. the new caps may be the way to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts