Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are the right part combinations needed to safely achieve this? Also can the drivetrain handle this? I don't plan alot of "strip runs". What is the estimated cost (please breakdown part by part) including install and tune. thanks for the time in advance :)

by the way: all motor please, no nitrous or superchargers

·
Registered
700 Posts
You and I have the same goal...450 rwhp.
I am going to go with FIPK, Headers, Cam and a good set of Heads, then a tune. That should get me relatively close.
I still don't know what cam/heads combo I'm going to use, but when I figure it out, I'll be sure to post the results back here on the forums, along with a dyno sheet.
I got a lot of good suggestions when I asked this question about a month ago, you might want to do a search. 450 rwhp isn't all that difficult to make on the LS2 compared to the older engines.
Oh, and your drivetrain should be good to go for the most part at 450. Much over that and you're going to start having to make some mods.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm going Maggie, all the way.

JET

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
baron_iv said:
You and I have the same goal...450 rwhp.
I am going to go with FIPK, Headers, Cam and a good set of Heads, then a tune. That should get me relatively close.
I still don't know what cam/heads combo I'm going to use, but when I figure it out, I'll be sure to post the results back here on the forums, along with a dyno sheet.
I got a lot of good suggestions when I asked this question about a month ago, you might want to do a search. 450 rwhp isn't all that difficult to make on the LS2 compared to the older engines.
Oh, and your drivetrain should be good to go for the most part at 450. Much over that and you're going to start having to make some mods.
yes 450rwhp, i thought that would be my best bet, not too far out of reach and was hoping to put off the drivetrain mods for now. well this all won't take place until next year anyway but i need a $ amount to start a savings budget!! :cheers

G

·
JMJ80 said:
yes 450rwhp, i thought that would be my best bet, not too far out of reach and was hoping to put off the drivetrain mods for now. well this all won't take place until next year anyway but i need a $ amount to start a savings budget!! :cheers
$5000 should handle most of your upgrades if your going the NA route.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I had a customer do the following and make 438 rwhp on stock heads!!
SLP long tubes with cats
K&N cai
underdrive
catback
LG motorsport cam (I believe the G5X1 on a 114lsa)
.... these cars breath really well, do your research before purchasing, you shouldn't have to buy heads. :cheers

·
Registered
700 Posts
I think you're going to be hard-pressed to make 450 without heads. If you do, I bet you're going to have a cam that isn't very streetable. You could probably get close, 425-435 with a semi-aggressive cam, but your low-end would certainly suffer a bit. The massive amount of torque on the low-end of the RPM range is what makes these GTOs so much fun to drive in my opinion.
If you want to retain your good drivability, you could go with a mild cam, heads, LTs, FIPK and a good tune. I suspect you could get all that for a shade under $5k if you did your homework...possibly as low as $4k.
Hopefully I'll be figuring out my system within the next week, and I can help you with yours.
-Scott

·
Registered
700 Posts
That's why you get the manual transmission! It's just more efficient (for those of you who aren't old, have creaky bones and arthritis starting to rear its ugly head, like mike). hehe
Not to mention, it's a helluva lot more fun to drive, as long as you're not stuck in rush-hour traffic every day. I live in a small town, so there's no such thing as a traffic jam around here. There's also a lot of wide open roads, and tons of twisties. The added control that the manual gives me on both roads is a huge bonus.
If I lived in the city, I don't think I'd want to be anywhere near a 6-speed if I had to drive in traffic often. It could quickly make your life miserable.
(/hijack)

G

·
baron_iv said:
That's why you get the manual transmission! It's just more efficient (for those of you who aren't old, have creaky bones and arthritis starting to rear its ugly head, like mike). hehe
lets see who looks old when they get punked at the track youngin!! lol

·
Registered
700 Posts
lol, how many times am I gonna have to tell you that I'm only 2 years younger than you?!?
Ahh, what I wouldn't give to be 17 again...
:party:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.