Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello. i have a 69 gto with a 455 ho with m21 4speed. 800 cfm eldelbrock carb,
msd distributor coil and 6A ignition box. hooker competition headers etc.
my question is why would it sputter while accelerating? is it my total advance? or fuel pump? or how i have the carb set up? it idles fine and coasts fine..

any input would be appreciated... thanks :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
hello. i have a 69 gto with a 455 ho with m21 4speed. 800 cfm eldelbrock carb,
msd distributor coil and 6A ignition box. hooker competition headers etc.
my question is why would it sputter while accelerating? is it my total advance? or fuel pump? or how i have the carb set up? it idles fine and coasts fine..

any input would be appreciated... thanks :)
define sputter

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Tyler, you need to figure out WHY your coils keep crapping out. What kind are you using, is the wiring correct, do you need a "ballast resistor", or are your coils just coming from a "bad batch"????? E:cheers

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have another thraed for that exact problem.. i know the wirings correct.. i even have spoke with a msd service tech over the phone... the only thing the guy said is the wont look at my msd box free of charge cause it not under warranty and that i had a bad coil.
im using msd blaster 2.. i tried blaster 3 but it had the same issue... if i had the money for a new distributor id eliminate the msd problem all together.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
I'm with Eric on the balast restistor. Chrysler used them on their electronic ignitions (well they used them on points cars too) they regulate voltage to the coil and it will act as a "fuseable link" in the ignition system so if for some reason there is a spike it will blow the ballast instead. I always ran a "double" which actually was just two built into one, and when I blew one I could plug in the spare.

Is your coil hot to the touch after you drive? I'll bet it is....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts