Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
I dont know if they broke it down that far, but when I did the PHS on my 70 they said a 400 3 speed was relatively rare, so I would assume a 455 3 speed would be hard to find. In the case of the 3 speed, rare doesnt necessarily mean desirable or valuable, but it does mean unique.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not going to reinstall a 3spd, right now the car is equipped with a Pontiac 350 and a TH400 transmission. The original motor was removed and far gone before I purchased this car. Plans in the future include a 400 or 455 motor with a m20/21/22 transmission.

Rare/Unique is cool. I'm more intrigued that it is a 455 car vs which transmission it actually came with. I just have never seen the exact numbers printed anywhere before.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My 69 came with a factory equipped three speed. That car was freaky fast. It also had 4:10 posi in it. I often wondered what the drag strip results would be if both cars were set up identically one with a 4-speed and one with the three. The three speed had that wide ratio effect. Not shifting as much or as often with the three. I later switched it out to a S-T10. Love those trannies. The four speed is more desireable but both are fun to drive. Enjoy....

·
Registered
668 Posts
Im with you on rare/unique, some of mine are both. Its part of why I got those particular cars. The only drawback to having a car that you dont see everywhere, is you dont blend in. So if you do something silly, the cops can find you easy.

·
Registered
220 Posts
At the end of the day, we are the so called "cult following" of a "cult brand," of Pontiac. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts