Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Stupid question, but I've just collected my 67 gto which has a 455ci. Is the oil filler cap on the driver side rocker cover? There's an identical cap on the other rocker cover so wanted to be sure I get the correct side!
Thanks
Paul

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
52 Posts
Doesn't matter which side you put the oil in, it winds up in the pan either way. I have breather/ filler caps on both valve covers on my 455. I always like having the filler on the same side as the dipstick, it's easier to fill and check that way

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Great and practical answer. If you care about "factory correct" and such, it goes on the driver's side. I sort of have to run mine there on my 69 because the passenger side cover is where the vent tube to the air cleaner has to go.

Bear

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Doesn't matter which side you put the oil in, it winds up in the pan either way. I have breather/ filler caps on both valve covers on my 455. I always like having the filler on the same side as the dipstick, it's easier to fill and check that way
Same here........

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like stupid questions - it's possible many people may want to ask them but are too Embarrassed. So I look at it as if I'm helping others! (And me)

My filler / caps are identical so I'll take both off to see if one is different or actually a breather / vent. I haven't got any info on this engine, it's got a few upgrades and lights the tyres in 2nd and 3rd, which I'm happy about of course. I think the rear diff ratio is standard but with this 400+hp, it may need changing to stop lighting tyres and because 3000rpm is about 60mph which feels too high. I'll probably post a few questions on that too.

Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts