Pontiac GTO Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
When I built mine I went to Butler’s they are near me and first rate. They cut my short block and everything they did was super. I used Iron heads but wound up putting as much in them and more time effort and money, then a set of edelbrock heads from Butler.nSo Inthink you made a good choice. I did an Eagle crank 461 stoker kit from Butler as well. I have a flat tapped cam and Harland sharp a roller rockers.

on the cam I went direct to Lunati. They are near Memphis, they have Greta cams and cut a custom cam for $50 over the price of an off the shelf cam...about $150 off the shelf...$200 custom.

Give them a call very helpful and they will go right with your combo.

good luck sounds great!

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
Also talk to the folks at Bullet Cams. They built the solid roller I'm running now in my 461, and it makes .620 net valve lift after considering lash, and does it with 1.5:1 rockers. I like that because it means less stress on the rocker studs plus more pushrod to rocker clearance.

Once you decide to deviate from stock, making sure all the nuances of setting up the valve train is not trivial. Get one thing wrong, spring pressure, pushrod length, spring height either open or closed, rocker to pushrod clearance, rocker to retainer clearance, retainer to valve guide/ stem seal clearance, and you can be in for a world of hurt.

Bear

21 - 23 of 23 Posts