Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4985 relatively trouble free miles. The seat part is on order for the last month, the speedo goes to 200 mph every so often, and the headliner is falling by the rear window.

No biggies, when the seat part comes in the other things will be fixed. i dont really own the car so i dont really care.

Then this morning on my way to work the GM gremlins reared their ugly head big time, near and dear to my heart.

The radio control on the steering wheel to lower volume raises the volume. the other controls work as they should. 4985 miles.

Does anyone know if there is an easy fix that can avoid a trip to the dealer? Since it really isnt my car I dont really care if i scratch things trying to fix it like the dealer probably will anyway.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You own more than you think.....

Tom:

Given my understanding of leases, you own more of this car than you think you do. You are responsible for everything other than normal wear and tear. I am sure you know this. I think what you are saying is that if they don't notice the high heel marks on the headliner in the back and that the steering wheel controls don't work, that is their problem. However, if the shifter falls out in your hand and it is not a warranty problem, you still own that.

How bad was your seat problem? Mine hasn't started slipping yet, but I don't have the high heel marks on my headliner either.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
high heel marks, ha!!!

the headliner is held up by 4 clips, like velcro, one side is glued to the headliner, the other clips on to the roof. the piece slips in a hole then has wings that expand securing it. on my car the wings are not spreading, to hold the clip in. i plan on epoxying the clip to the roof, then let the velcro do its job. two minutes total for job. when i return the car the headliner will be where it is supposed to be and i saved gm an hour labor charge.

the other things can be fixed when the seat parts come in. the clips for the headliner are special order, and of course unless i have a service appt for them to inspect the part then order the part, blah blah blah.

before we got the rendezvous i was by the dealer and stopped in. i told the svc mgr we were buying a rendezvous in two weeks, and that i wanted to drop teh gto off when we pick up the rendezvous. i got him to order the seat parts. didnt want to press my luck with the clips, or the speedo problem.

this radio problem really bugs me.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Tom said:
this radio problem really bugs me.
I've had a bunch of rentals of different makes where the same stuff happens. My wife's car was problem free until the same thing happened to it. I'm driving, she's yapping on the phone. Starts waving her arms to turn the volume down -- when all of a sudden it starts going up -- causing her arms to wave around even faster. By the time I figured out what was happening, her arms were spinning at 20,000 RPM. Just seems to be the nature of the buttons on the steering wheel beast. I don't even bother using the stupid things anymore.

I'd love an "old school" style car where a lot of the buttons and doo-dads were left out. Is reaching over to the stereo to adjust the volume that big of an inconvenience?

That's one thing I like about the GTO. No built in phone, no navigation, no automatic temperature control. It's about as old school as you can get. Don't get me wrong, I'm not ready to go back to a push button AM radio, bench seat and crank windows -- but some of junk that's becoming commonplace is really getting annoying.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I dont use them either. Left hand on the wheel, right hand on the stick within fingers length of the volume knob. It requires more effort to move my hand to even get to the steering wheel controls, and when it comes to effort I am a 3-toed sloth.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i got spoiled with them on the legend coupe. couldnt get used to them on the aurora, and got used to them on the gto.

funny, i dont miss them when im in the porsche. fortunately the rendezvous buttons are the same, station on the left, volume on the right. the ones on my dads silhouette are a disaster in motion. seek preset, seek period, etc. too damn many things.

now if only the rendezvous didnt have the wipers/cruise on the signal stalk. but, at least you can now flash the high beams without clicking them on and off. small progress but progress none the less with the rendezvous.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Have you had your gauge cluster software updated? Hold both set and mode down while your turn the key on - then read you program load. I bet you need to have it flashed with an update to get rid of your electrical gremlins.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.