Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all. Just went to the movies today and saw " saw II" (no pun) got to a mustang 5.0 (yr maybe an 89) not sure. he look back in his rear veiw and saw (again no pun lol) GTO on the windsheild and he took off. well iam right on him every step of the way. can not over take due to traffic. but i gun it after he guns it. got to open road and he takes off. i pull beside him and roll the window down and he does nothing but sit there like a log going 30mph. wonder what he was thinking

B

·
0 Posts
actually, starting in 94 when they changed to the SN95 bodystyle from the fox body, the motors were rated differently. So instead of being 225hp as was always stated, it went to 205. Then in 96 it the 5.0 was dead and the modular 4.6 was standard in the mustang, and received a rating of 230hp under the new system. Ford has been using that motor since.

B

·
0 Posts
most guys put in 373 gears, flowmaster mufflers, an H pipe, and a cold air kit, along with bumping the timing to 14 degrees. All these mods make the fox body cars about a half second quicker, or a 13.7 ET.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
big_mike said:
most guys put in 373 gears, flowmaster mufflers, an H pipe, and a cold air kit, along with bumping the timing to 14 degrees. All these mods make the fox body cars about a half second quicker, or a 13.7 ET.
so i dont have to fear any (stock) 5.0 on the road when i line up to them?

B

·
0 Posts
NOPE, not a "stock" one but to go from 225hp to 400 is VERY easy on a 5.0 motor. A simple set of 351W heads, an Edelbrock extrude honed intake and an F cam from Ford with some long tubes and then you have to worry.

B

·
0 Posts
That may have ya worried, but the REAL threat, and most wont believe this, but is the 4 cylinder guys!!

Hey, I see your on YIM, feel free to hit me up! rmikek

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
big_mike said:
NOPE, not a "stock" one but to go from 225hp to 400 is VERY easy on a 5.0 motor. A simple set of 351W heads, an Edelbrock extrude honed intake and an F cam from Ford with some long tubes and then you have to worry.
I did the 351 heads, I think it was a Holley intake, and a cam, with headers, no cats, an H-pipe and a Flowmaster exhaust. Did a torque Converter on the tranny, and kept the stock 3.23 gears on my 86 GT back in 87. It put 282 down to the wheels. The car would do a low 13 1/4 and topped out between 160-165. It was lots of fun in the 80's to have that kinda power. Not much could touch it. I imagine with a good modern computer and a good dyno tune 320 rwhp would be easy to get.

B

·
0 Posts
and considering a lightweight LX trunk, 320-330 at the tires in a 2800lb car equals a GTO challenger, if not defeater.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, a real good friend of mine has an 88 5.0 LX with shorties and 3.73's (with 31 spline axels and a new truck Trac-Loc) and it moves for a $2500 car! Yeah, the paint isn't great, but for a car that runs 14.1 at 99 for under $3500 total, its not a bad deal at all! Then there's the fact that with only a little power they can FLY! Another friend of mine had a '91 (JUST sold it) that went 10.80's with only 360whp!! (lots of suspension and sweet ass 6500rpm launches)

I've always wanted an LX Fox for a race car!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
big_mike said:
actually, starting in 94 when they changed to the SN95 bodystyle from the fox body, the motors were rated differently. So instead of being 225hp as was always stated, it went to 205. Then in 96 it the 5.0 was dead and the modular 4.6 was standard in the mustang, and received a rating of 230hp under the new system. Ford has been using that motor since.
I know this is a GTO site, but you're off slightly Mike. 1993 was the year the 5.0 went down to 205 hp due to the switch from forged to hypertutonic pistons. In 1994 they rated the 5.0 at 215, but it was much slower than the 93. In 96 the GT was still only rated at only 215 hp and was a dog. 5 speed V-6 F-Bodies could beat auto Mustang GT's.

Regradless, any GTO (04-05, auto, manual) will kill a fox bodied mustang unless it has sopme decent mods.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have owned serveral Mustangs and still have 2 (02 GT & 92 LX). Here are a few pics of the 92. It is a slightly modded 92 Feature Car (5.0 - 5-speed) that runs 13.8's but is no where near GTO territory. Plus it has rattles and creaks not found on the Goat.

B

·
0 Posts
QwkRed05GTO said:
I know this is a GTO site, but you're off slightly Mike. 1993 was the year the 5.0 went down to 205 hp due to the switch from forged to hypertutonic pistons. In 1994 they rated the 5.0 at 215, but it was much slower than the 93. In 96 the GT was still only rated at only 215 hp and was a dog. 5 speed V-6 F-Bodies could beat auto Mustang GT's.

Regradless, any GTO (04-05, auto, manual) will kill a fox bodied mustang unless it has sopme decent mods.
See, I didnt go into THAT much detail just that the 5.0 motor was DECEASED in 1995, since in 96 (the weakest mustang year) the new modular motor just couldnt compete with the old five-oh's.

I think we can all agree that any 5.0 bought for a couple hundred bucks that has a 17psi ProCharger smacked on it will make a GTO owner wonder "what the f----" as he is getting passed.

·
Registered
214 Posts
big_mike said:
See, I didnt go into THAT much detail just that the 5.0 motor was DECEASED in 1995, since in 96 (the weakest mustang year) the new modular motor just couldnt compete with the old five-oh's.

I think we can all agree that any 5.0 bought for a couple hundred bucks that has a 17psi ProCharger smacked on it will make a GTO owner wonder "what the f----" as he is getting passed.
Agreed. I said almost the same thing racing a P.O.S. 91 GT auto with 4.10 and a 150 hp Nitrous Kit. Everything else was stock. It ran a 13.2 AND there was a fat, ugly chick driving.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I remember when my 98 T/A was still pretty new. At a light, there were a couple of guys in a 5.0 GT, and I heard the distinct wine from a blower. When the light turned green, I took off somewhat agresively, but not too hard. They lagged back a bit, then I heard them get on it, so I did the same. I was far enough ahead to see them in my right mirror, but they could not catch me. I expected them to blow on by. The only thing I could figure was it wasn't tuned properly, or something.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts