Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just watching CNN when they showed a BP Station gas prices! The lowest was $5.57 for regular, $5.87 for midgrade and $6.07 for Premium!! Down here in So. Florida the corner Citgo is at $3.07 for premium. All I can say is THIS SUCKS!! :willy:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just broke the $3 mark here in Mass, premium went from $2.81 to $3.67 over night, literally. I'm so glad i sold my 97 Tahoe @ 11 MPG when i did for my nice 6 banger 97 Bravada for a daily driver. But your right, this does totaly suck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
toolman said:
I am getting a Pontiac Vibe to use as a daily driver. Does anyone here have one? They seem to be very fuel efficient.
I had one a couple of weeks ago while my goat was in the shop. It got excellent mileage. It did 0-60 in just under an hour, would only squawk the tires if you were going about 10mph in reverse and then slammed into drive and its off-road capablities were very limited, though it did prove to be game over some fairly muddy terrain. :cool

It would certainly make the gas bill a little easier to face.

(Military perk: premium was $2.59 on post yesterday)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well, the high prices suck...

But, I bought a GTO knowing full well that it gets terrible mileage. Sure, my gas bill has doubled since last year. But, it's not as painful as the annual screwjob that is health insurance. At least with gas, I get to drive a GTO :cool

·
Registered
81 Posts
zerosum said:
I've been paying three bucks for V-power for about a week now.

Higher prices I can handle... I just don't want to deal with shortages.

Anybody here old enough to remember the gas lines from the 70's?
To young, thank god.

Premium is 3.21 right now, regular is supposed to break $4 tommorow. So much for saving up for parts!

·
Registered
314 Posts
RevnR6 said:
Actually, I bet that station will get in trouble. there are places you can call to report price gouging.

Unfortunately the station may have a leg to stand on in this particular instance; if the refineries are shut down as is the case now, we are in the beginning of a very troubling short-term future. I just returned from Chicago and all along the toll semi's are stopped because they just cant get diesel. If a station knows they're on the last 2,500 (arbitrary) gallons with no prospect of additional fuel you will see an extreme spike. This isn't the first industry to follow supply and demand - the hotel industry is very crafty in their ways as well to name one.

My scare is that this disaster has come at the worst possible time for our country - we're in a (unending) war, interest rates are rising, and gas prices are through the roof already - this will probably set us into a recession and that is no good. I am in the cellular tower business and this is very trackable (much like a bell curve), the market has been stable at 13-14 times annual cash flow and I'm afraid even 6 months from now we will see that at 8-9; I would be the first one in line to take a bullet for my man Dubya but if he doesn't help stimulate this country (even short-term) I'm afraid even the most outspoken neo-con will begin to turn.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
46 Posts
zerosum said:
I've been paying three bucks for V-power for about a week now.

Higher prices I can handle... I just don't want to deal with shortages.

Anybody here old enough to remember the gas lines from the 70's?

Sure do! Don't wanna go through that crap again. I remember even odd plate days for gas, and running out in line with my mother and brother, had to push a boat of a car 76 T-bird 460 ci, no gas mizzer there. Prices have hit a record high in the Savannah, GA area at 3.10 a gal for 87, and 3.40 for super... I'm gonna jump outa window soon!! Exxon stock going down, Bud stock going up, Go figure!

:cheers :cheers :cheers

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I remember those days, I was 13 in 1979. Fortunately my fathers plant had it's own gas pump and dad would take mom's station wagon to fill it up. My grandfather switched to a diesel MB, a 300SD I think. He added a second tank to the trunk and was SO proud he could go a 1000 miles btwn fill ups. One of those V10 Diesel VW Taureg's is looking pretty good about now that diesel is cheaper than regular.

·
Registered
937 Posts
sboylan said:
Unfortunately the station may have a leg to stand on in this particular instance; if the refineries are shut down as is the case now, we are in the beginning of a very troubling short-term future. I just returned from Chicago and all along the toll semi's are stopped because they just cant get diesel. If a station knows they're on the last 2,500 (arbitrary) gallons with no prospect of additional fuel you will see an extreme spike. This isn't the first industry to follow supply and demand - the hotel industry is very crafty in their ways as well to name one.

My scare is that this disaster has come at the worst possible time for our country - we're in a (unending) war, interest rates are rising, and gas prices are through the roof already - this will probably set us into a recession and that is no good. I am in the cellular tower business and this is very trackable (much like a bell curve), the market has been stable at 13-14 times annual cash flow and I'm afraid even 6 months from now we will see that at 8-9; I would be the first one in line to take a bullet for my man Dubya but if he doesn't help stimulate this country (even short-term) I'm afraid even the most outspoken neo-con will begin to turn.

Thoughts?
I couldn’t agree more. I blame this squarely on the US oil companies. They buy up smaller refineries and shut them down. They shut down their own refineries until they are running the remaining refineries at 100% capacity. As the US starts to consume more refined fuels the oil companies cannot produce any more because they are at capacity, by their own doing in an attempt to increase fuel prices and their corporate profits. We can buy as much oil as we want on the open market, and sure OPEC is charging a ridiculous amount ($70) per barrel, but that DOES NOT translate into the prices we are paying (Pre-Disaster). The government loves to get its fingers into the private sector whenever possible. Microsoft, the ****ty airlines, electric companies, farmers just to name a few, but let the oil companies profiteer and screw the American and you don’t see Bush doing a damned thing about it. It should be obvious to ever single person that this country will go to hell in a hand basket with the fuel infrastructure damaged. The Federal government should FORCE the oil companies to reopen oil refineries and FORCE them to reduce the per refinery capacity to approx 70% so that in the event of a localized disaster the other refinery infrastructure can absorb the load and maintain the balance. It will take my president to spearhead that, and I guarantee you that isn’t going to happen. This is blatant and obvious price fixing and profiteering that no other critical infrastructure would be allowed to perform without the Fed's swooping in, but there is way too much dirty politics involved. By the way, if you think that a Democrat president would be doing anything different.......you're a fool.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.