Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 65 GTO project car. The seller put a lot of money in the engine but did not get around to running the engine since it had no drivetrain and he was out of money.
Anyway no drivetrain was ok with me since it was an automatic and I wanted to swap to a 4 speed.
When I removed the auto flywheel while examining the rear of the engine , engine is a 63 or 64 , 389, I noticed just below the distributer was a round inspection type whole and I could see the distributer drive gear. This does not look right to me seems there should be some sort of a cap or plug to seal this otherwise I would think oil would blow out of the whole, am I am wrong?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
should have a threaded plug on it, it is the rear access to oil passages and is removed when they are cleaned.:cheers

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
should have a threaded plug on it, it is the rear access to oil passages and is removed when they are cleaned.:cheers
:agree Danger Will Robinson! Warning! Warning! ---- if they left that plug out then there's a chance that they also left out the "internal" plug on the lifter galley oil supply. No way would I attempt to start that motor without some way of confirming that all 4 lifter galley plugs (one on each bank on both front and rear) were in place and sealed. Otherwise, you risk running the motor with very little oil pressure to the crank - not good for longevity.

On the back side of the block there are two plugs for the lifter galleys. From the factory, you'll see two - one is a screw in pipe tap plug, the other is a press in plug similar to a "freeze" plug, but that press in plug is NOT the plug that seals the lifer galley on that side. What gets left out sometimes is another screw in pipe plug that is "underneath" that freeze plug. There's actually a gap between the rear wall of the block and the lifter galley on that side - the distributor drive gear sits in that gap. That "secret" galley plug sits "behind" the distributor gear as viewed from the rear of the block. The other two plugs are on the front side, underneath the timing cover and cam gear.

Bear

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
LISTEN to these guys! This is a warning flag. My very first 389 that I rebuilt 30 years ago came back from the machine shop with all three plugs missing, but the core plug over the missing rear galley plug was installed!!! Man, did I have problems. Found the problems, but the engine was already in the car and everything was all together. Had to pull the timing cover, pull the trans, flywheel, etc. and finish the job. I guess no damage was done, though....that engine ended up in my '65 GTO in 1988, and is still there running strong today. Another thing: If you have a '63 or earlier block, you may have starter issues. The early pre-'64 blocks had starter mounting on the transmission/bellhousing, not the engine block. Be sure your block is a starter-mount block!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts