Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread the other day concerning this and got good advice on troubleshooting. The positive cable to the starter shorted on the exhaust manifold. I cut off the bad section and put a new terminal end on and reinstalled the starter. I checked continuity from the starter to the terminal block on the fender. Checked good. I also checked for continuity from the positive cable on the starter to the ground stud on the block. I had continuity there when I shouldn't have. Could I have fried the starter?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have continuity from the positive terminal on the starter solenoid with the cable connected to the terminal block on the fender well, which is where the positive cable from the battery goes to. I also have continuity from the same terminal on the starter solenoid to the ground stud on the block, which is where the negative cable from the battery goes to. That would be a dead short I would think. I'm I possibly fried the starter solenoid, but I don't want to buy just the solenoid if it could be the starter. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yeah, that's not right. I read "checked continuity from the starter to ground". And BTW, you should have continuity there. The solenoid energizes the positive side of the starter when it's engaged. The + side of the solenoid should NOT have continuity to ground unless it is engaged.

In other words, I think your solenoid is fried! ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts