Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have always loved the 64 GTO. My wife's mom's neighbor has a 64 gto convertible with a 389 tripower. Car has been sitting out for 25 yrs he has phs paperwork showing its is an actual GTO. Motor is not original it's a 66 lots of rust. He wants 5000 for this non running rust bucket. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Well, '64 convertible would put the car in the low survivor numbers, so the price may be good. Look and compare to see what selling prices go for, but know that these are usually much higher than its true selling value.

Next is how deep does your wallet go and how much work can you do? Do you want to restore, resto-mod, or other? Just got to know where you want to go with the project.

Pics would help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would say its probably a good deal the tripower setup alone is probably worth $1500+ even if it is rusty. You could probably sell the motor to someone building a 66 tripower car for more than $1500 and build the 64 the way you want.

like Jim says need pics and you gotta know what you wanna do with it and know what kind of budget youre willing to set. Its usually cheaper in the long run to buy one thats already restored. Doing a rebuild from the ground up cost more money, takes more time, but at the end you’ll have learned a ton and you’ll know exactly how it was done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I have always loved the 64 GTO. My wife's mom's neighbor has a 64 gto convertible with a 389 tripower. Car has been sitting out for 25 yrs he has phs paperwork showing its is an actual GTO. Motor is not original it's a 66 lots of rust. He wants 5000 for this non running rust bucket. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I am looking at this as a long term project. Body and mechanicals shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure if I am going for a restore or a mod. I will see if I can get some pics but it has little clearence between the fence and the house it's next too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
May be a screaming good deal...or not. Rust is the big question. Is it a Flintstone flyer? Is the trunk floor solid?

If you’re not worried about matching numbers, 66 Tri-power is a desirable engine. Either way, look at casting numbers to see what you’re getting. Bolt patterns between manifold and heads changed between 64 and 65. So intake and heads must be compatible. Head casting numbers are on top of the two center exhaust ports. Wallaceracing.com is a good source of info, or just Google Pontiac head casting codes.

64 Tri-power used a smaller center carb. 66 carbs were all the same size. Tri-power end carbs do not have chokes. Correct Tri-power setups are going for $2500, cobbled together setups are closer to $1000. Look at the catalogs (Ames, etc.) to see what is correct. Pay attention to the fuel fittings. Look for tags on the carbs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you don’t want it send me the info, I’d pay 5 grand in a heartbeat. I’ve been looking for 1 of these for years. Problem is I just turned 71 don’t know if I will life long enough to finish it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Even a Flintstone mobile can be rebuilt. But as others have said, it all depends on what you want to do, how much work you can do on it yourself, and how deep your pockets are. I'm rebuilding my Flintstone mobile but it was my first car so it has sentimental value and I'm willing to do a LOT of the work. It's a project I've been wanting to do for 35 years. Now it will require a frame off restoration. My advice on cost is to estimate the cost then at least triple it. I started out thinking I could rebuild mine as a drivable car for 10K but my current estimate is about 30K - if I don't go for an expensive paint job. You can see what I'm working with by clicking here. DM me if you want to discuss it in more detail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts