Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week the positive battery cable to the starter solenoid shorted out on the exhaust manifold causing both battery cables to melt. I fixed the cable to the solenoid and replaced the battery cables. When I turn the ignition to start, I am getting power to the yellow wire that goes to the "R" terminal on the solenoid but nothing happens. I tried replacing the solenoid. Same thing. How can I track the source of this problem down? I pulled the starter and did a bench test. It worked fine when taking a screwdriver between positive and the "S" terminal, but did nothing when going from positive to the "R" terminal. I don't think this is the original wiring harness. The wire going to the solenoid was yellow. What will happen if I run that yellow wire to the "S" terminal?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Last week the positive battery cable to the starter solenoid shorted out on the exhaust manifold causing both battery cables to melt. I fixed the cable to the solenoid and replaced the battery cables. When I turn the ignition to start, I am getting power to the yellow wire that goes to the "R" terminal on the solenoid but nothing happens. I tried replacing the solenoid. Same thing. How can I track the source of this problem down? I pulled the starter and did a bench test. It worked fine when taking a screwdriver between positive and the "S" terminal, but did nothing when going from positive to the "R" terminal. I don't think this is the original wiring harness. The wire going to the solenoid was yellow. What will happen if I run that yellow wire to the "S" terminal?
The wire goes on the "S" terminal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts