Pontiac GTO Forum banner

64 GTO Wind Noise

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Chiefpontiac455 
#1 ·
I bought a 1964 GTO last spring. Original 4-bbl 3-speed car that was swapped for a 400 4-speed. Added limited slip and a pretty low gear rear end. Car runs great! I had the suspension rebuilt and added a 3 core aluminum radiator. Additionally I added a fan cowl. During my recent road test I noticed really load wind noise from the front of the car north of 65 mph. Since this is my first GTO, I have no baseline. Do these cars typically have a lot of wind noise? Any chance the fan cowl could be the cause of this?

#2 ·
These cars typically lose tension at the wing window levers, and you'll get wind noise through the seal. You can repair the latch to tighten it up or slip a dime between it and the frame and see if it lessens the noise. The side glass seals get hard, as do the door seals. I've been in and around these cars for decades, and, in good condition and in stock form, you do have to raise your voice to have a conversation at 70+ due to wind noise. These are not aerodynamic cars, and do not have flush mount glass.....lots of nooks and crannies to trap air at speed. The noisiest car I've ever driven due to wind noise was a '60 Lincoln Continental. The one with the slanted headlights. TONS of wind noise....like a Chinese Pagoda going down the highway. The use of new weatherstrip and new sound deadeners like Dynamat can really help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.