Pontiac GTO Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Beautiful GTO!

I was going to go with 15 X 8 rear rims.
I would.
The only reason I have 15x7's is because at first I put 2456015s all the way around. Then I did my disc brake conversion, which widened my track by about 3/16" causing the fronts to rub. So I dropped to 2356015. Then I put a 12 bolt in with 3:31's and since now I didn't have the 4 the same size look I wanted, I went with the biggest I could on the back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wanted the same look your talking about, and I went with 15/8 Weld Racing wheels with 4.5" back spacing, with Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial P255/60R15s. I bought them while I still had the body and frame separated. I measured everything 6 ways to Sunday, and I should have an inch clearance inner and outer. I'm still in paint and assembly mode, so the suspension hasn't settled yet. I put 15/4 Weld Racing wheels on the front, with Mickey Thompson Sportsman Radial 26x6R16LTs.
I'm guessing you've already researched it, but Eastwood has a device that will roll the lip to help with clearance. IMHO that would be more desirable than grinding the lip. Go to their site and search for Fender Roller. I'll be considering this if I find my measurements were off.
20210101_112241.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I wanted the same look your talking about, and I went with 15/8 Weld Racing wheels with 4.5" back spacing, with Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial P255/60R15s. I bought them while I still had the body and frame separated. I measured everything 6 ways to Sunday, and I should have an inch clearance inner and outer. I'm still in paint and assembly mode, so the suspension hasn't settled yet. I put 15/4 Weld Racing wheels on the front, with Mickey Thompson Sportsman Radial 26x6R16LTs.
I'm guessing you've already researched it, but Eastwood has a device that will roll the lip to help with clearance. IMHO that would be more desirable than grinding the lip. Go to their site and search for Fender Roller. I'll be considering this if I find my measurements were off. View attachment 143360
Do you believe that a 275/60/R15 with 4.5" backspacing would work?

I am in the same mode as you are....getting ready for paint and re-assembly.

Your car looks great...she will be beautiful when finished.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Did you get a pre '68 or '67 I believe 12 bolt because I remember the '65 rear is 1" narrower and that will give you clearance problems also I ground the wheel well trim down to the actual well about an 1/8" ,every little bit helps but I'm having clearance issues up higher in the well where it bumps out and there's two layers so I'd like to have that heated and planished in some when I get it painted then I can take the 3/4" spacers out and it looks good but like I said it will rub on good bumps. I'll have to check out the setback or offset of mine and maybe changing that would help, American Racing has a good measuring guide on their site...still like the look of 17" wheel on their visualizer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know. The dimension you should be looking at is the section width, which should be the measurement from sidewall to sidewall. If you go to Jeg's website and enter 672-3452, you'll see the tires I bought. Scroll down to the details and it shows the section width as 10.2". Do the same thing with 672-3453 and the 275s will come up. The section width for the 275 is 11.1". That's a little too close for me to take the chance.
Thanks for the compliments! My car is going to look even better when I pop the hood. Check this baby out. 1972 455 HO, 7F6 heads (round port), solid roller cam, roller rockers, dual quads. Built to put out more than 500 hp. Can't wait to hammer down on that baby!
20210403_162416.jpg

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Very nice !...throw back wires too, these cars just weren't made for big meats that's why I'm surprised 275/60/15 fit with just a 3/4" spacer on stock springs. Here's a couple more pix for a visual and believe it or not these two pix were taken within minutes so I don't know why the rake looks so different probably my camera angle 🤨

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's a great looking goat! I'm hoping to get mine on the road this summer. So much to do, most of which I've never done before, but that hasn't stopped me yet!

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Yup you sure do and I did 1" performance lowering springs in the front and love the front stance....yours is looking great 👍

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
View attachment 143397

and the beast that lurks within....
Gotta put some semi-gloss black paint between the fins to bring out those MT valve covers. My engine will be Ford blue because I like it much better than the Pontiac colors. So my finned valve covers got the treatment.

This is where I left off on my build, but this is about the stance I want. It'll sit high in general, with a little more at the rear. Should be able to drop the transmission or change a clutch without needing a jack to get it up high enough. Those prone to nose bleeds might want to refrain from riding along. LOL Got Hoosier 29" x 12.5" x 15" tires and 15 x 10" rims that will go out back.

02  455 Valve Covers.jpg
'68 Lemans resized.jpg

21 - 32 of 32 Posts