Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, quick question...
I have 65 GTO project I'm staring. Tires are old and losing air and I want to put the car on axle stands for an extended period of time.

In your opinion what is the best spot to put the stands, as far as safety for us working and the car?!

Let me know what you guys think!

·
Registered
44 Posts
1 set under Rear axle, just inside of the backing plates

1 set under Torque boxes, (where the frame changes directions just aft of the front wheels). Make sure your frame is not rotted out in this area, if in question I cut some 3/16" metal approx 6" square and place between the frame and stand to help spread the load.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome thanks I know it sounds stupid but jut thought I would see what everyone thought was best!
I wasn't sure if the rear axle was good or not as far as the suspension but then again the car has been sitting without stands for ten years so damage is done If it were to do any would assume!

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Sitting that long with the weight on the suspension, chances are you'll want to replace the springs anyway when you're ready to put it back on the road. In general, the best places to support the weight will be to get as close as you can to the same spots where the car normally supports itself --- meaning, near/underneath the spring pads on the rear axle and near/underneath the lower control arm frame mounts.

Oh... and how about some photos?

Bear

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it is iris mist, was painted red at some point and then was repainted iris mist....it's original colour

I ended up putting the front on stands on the big bulky part of the frame directly behind the wheels, and I did the rear also on the frame just in front of the wheels. I used small blocks of wood to protect it and spread the weight. The frame is in very good shape and solid with no rust
Thanks for the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts