Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'65 gto, anyone have pointers on changing out the air conditioner box, bolted onto the firewall; my mechanic suggested the Forum for pointers in getting the factory air working....lotta old parts/hoses in there...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
drop the right hand inner fender. be prepared with a service part to rebuild or replace the throttle suction valve. I would also stay with R12, 134A is about the same price per lb and is not a drop in substitute.

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
On my '67 there was a dimple in the inner fenderwell to center a 1" hole saw on, I drilled it and was able to remove the nut with my magnetic nut driver.
A rubber 1" plug went into the hole.
I had to replace the whole unit because some hack replaced the heater core by cutting out all the supports so he could remove the core from the inside of the car.
The new core broke @ the inlet neck because the core wasn't secured and was just flopping around in the plenum.
The heater control was a mess, the new control cable was installed wrong as were all the hoses.
The A/C works a lot better now that the heater isn't running at the same time.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I disabled my AC. Got an AC delete kit for the firewall box to save space and get rid of all that. I prefer the windows down,vents windows open and rolling!

I can fix ac even have an ac recycle machine! but prefer it without!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts