Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, very very new to these cars and this forum. I am an active member of vw forums and own a vw. Long story short my girlfriends father has a beautiful 1965 GTO that has been sitting in the garage for roughly 10 years and he suffered a medical condition in which he isn't able to remember anything to do with the car. From what we know its 400ci originally 389? apprently it was running hot and had trouble running since switchin from leaded to unleaded gas and could be anything else. This is a really nice GTO and we want to get it back and running. I'm looking for advice or direction to where we should even begin, obviously need to do assess the fluel tank, lines carb etc but general knowledge on this car or anyone in a similar situation.

Obsolutly any help is much appreciated, I have good basic knowledge with water cooled Volkswagens but obviously this is a completely different beast. I will add pics!

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Hello and welcome.
You're on the right track. Make sure the fuel and fuel system are good, front to back. Change the oil and coolant. See if you can get it running and assess from there. If it is in fact running hot, we can move on from there.

Bear

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gto

Awesome thanks for the reply! I'm really gettin excited to begin work on this!
After talking to her mom last night and trying to get every bit of info I can on it and its issues she claims it all started when running unleaded fuel and they used to add lead additive and seemed to run better.

Now I have absolutely no knowledge or experience with this but does that sound common or probably something else?

Other issue is a snapped rear away bar however I think that will be much easier to tackle

Anyone who can add to this leaded-unleaded fuel idea would be great!

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Leaded fuel hasn't been available for motorists on public highways for about 30 years. Ten years? I dunno. I suspect that the problem was more to do with low octane, poor quality fuel, which 'new' gas is. The car may have been pinging on the low octane, and he may have retarded the timing to compensate, which in turn caused the car to run hotter. A vicious circle. A 1965 GTO has a high compression engine and requires 100 octane fuel to run properly. Some folks squeak by with 93 octane, but that isn't avaliable where I live. I would do what Bear says, but in addition, I would replace the Thermostat. Also, be advised that the timing cover is aluminum, and if the car has been sitting with coolant in it for a decade or more, the cover could have corroded and you could have coolant leaking into the engine oil. A pressure check of the cooling system will verify this. Compared to water cooled VW's, you will find this car simple and straightforward to work on, as well as reliable. Fluid change and a general engine tune up, and you should be 'good to go'.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
I forgot to add: you can get race gas and mix it with your pump gas, or you can use aviation fuel (100LL) mixed with your regular stuff, or you can try TEL130, which works well, too. Unleaded fuel can harm the valve seats on these cars if you pull a trailer or if you drive them thousands of miles at over 3000 rpm. For normal driving, no worries. So, tune up, fluids, and check the brake wheel cylinders/master cylinder, too....and good to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts