Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 319 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I am not looking to detract from Mitch's work, it just happens that we have similar projects and some comments about his work inspiring others motivated me to post this one here as well. Why not show that if you apply yourself you can do more than you ever thought possible.

I am doing this for my father in law Dave, he helped me out when the USAF broke me and put me out. Gave me a place to live, fed me, and helped me get back on my feet. Well Dave had a 65 GTO convertible that he sold in 68 when his first daughter was on the way. He mentioned it and said it was the only car he would ever want back, so I picked a rolling shell hardtop up in South Carolina with a little bit of rust. Its a real GTO PHS verified to have been a 4 speed 4 barrel in Montero red.

It has been here since 2006 as the project I would get to when I could. Then back in November Dave ended up in the hospital with heart problems and I decided it would be a good time to get started on his car. Dave turns 65 on May 5th this year so that is the deadline, another cool part of this whole thing is the VIN ends with 00065, so that is like providence having that many 65s all at the same time.

Here it is right after it got up here to Michigan. Doesnt look all that bad from here.

Could be worse, at least it has seats in it right?

And no engine or trans.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The trunk reminded me of a speech years ago, 1000 points of light.

A bit of rust on the seal channel.

Holy smokes where was the window resting, in the back seat?

Takin it apart.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chipped bondo off the quarter panel with a putty knife, didnt have to sand a bit to get to this point. Someone really screwed things up back in the 70s or 80s. Patched a quarter from a Tempest on it with a stick welder. Got the body off the frame, that was fun.

Built a rotisserie out of 3x2 box and hung the body on it.The casters cost as much as the steel did!

Sandblasted the frame in a freezing rain storm, remind me not to do that again.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found more rust. The dash was held in by the wiring harness and the little plastic thing around the column.

Got to sanding and blasting on the body to find all the areas that need attention.

Painted the frame! Yes going the other way!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Waited a month for the floor pans, there was a screw up and they didnt ship them for three weeks. Got to cutting and pasting when they got here.

Hacked the trunk out with a sawzall and replaced the braces under it that hold the tank in place. Got some Eastwoods encapsulator brushed on the spots that will be hidden when its all done.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well they are in there, not finished welded yet but close enough so the car has some structural integrity again. Been blasting and sanding on it since I shot these weeks ago, its getting there but my blaster died today so I need to order up a new larger one. :)Less time filling more time knocking crust and oxidation off!

I'll take some pics of it soon to update it.

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
What is the build date of that car ? with a VIN of 00065, it looks to be one of the very first ones built...:cool
You have a very ambitious completion date...good luck. I'll have to wish Dave a happy b-day ....we share the same day....but I'm not quite 65....:cheers

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its not the first run through the sequence, so its a late build. Hey wanna see who gets done first? Did you get a frame yet?

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
wanna see who gets done first? Did you get a frame yet?
:rofl::rofl: I'll be lucky if mine see's the road May 5th of 2011...:willy:

I do have a frame. Went to Oklahoma last March for it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I have more time available than you do. You have more structural issues than I do too. Its starting to get warmer here too, its been above 25F for a few weeks now. That is good workin weather as long as you arent doing any sanding with the DA (fingers get cold) or trying to make filler, primer, or paint stick to anything.

Here's what I got done today.

The package shelf has a ton of holes in it, good thing it is covered up. I can slather on the POR or encapsulator and not worry about it, just get the flaky stuff off. Need to patch the floor under the seat, its really swissed under there, and the dash needs a bit more work. My hood's lens was heavily pitted so I gotta cut another one for it, couldnt see anything while I was doing under the dash.

The blaster needs both valves replaced, a new hose, and its a bit small, so I think I will order a larger new one instead.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Looks faintly familar to what I was doing in '05 to my '64. Including but not limited to the rear window gutter and filler panel. Very nice so far!

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Hindsight is always 20/20 but you could've ordered a full floor pan without the braces and been done with the patching of that. I'm sure you'll keep that in mind for the NEXT one you do.....:lol:

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
:agree
I put in the whole floor without the braces on in 2 full length pieces. Less welding the better.
Looking forward to see how TMP's 1 piece goes.

..and that panel behind the rear window, I ground over a gal of bando, crumpled up paper, crumpled up wire mesh, and a ton of rust out of the window channel. By the time I ground all the crap out, the panel fell off. :p

·
Registered
855 Posts
Man, between yours and Mitch's my 64 was a cream puff. Finished her over 15 years ago. She is conv. so did have to do full trunk floor. But amazingly the rest was pretty solid. Motor and tranny was gone so dropped a 455 w/tubo 400 in it. Been enjoying it ever since, in fact back at the start of the GTO fun had to build one for my late wife too. Was always concerned we might get simultaneous speeding tickets going to a car show. Keep up the good work and another one will be saved. Seen you have a 05 on you bucket list too. I have a 04 also and will tell you I enjoy that one just as much as the 64. You just can't beat this new technology. THANKS FOR THE UPDATES, LES

·
Registered
93 Posts
Its great to see this extent of resto work being done on these classic cars'
very inspiring for others in resto situations, also the preservation of this genre of cars is good thing for the future. ( Detroit iron still around 50 yrs later' they dont make cars like this anymore as you all know). I am cosmetically restoring a 66 tri pwr goat at this time we've had it since 68 so now desreves a bare metal paint job etc.. fortunately very little metal work required. Religiously oiled and waxed every winter ;) I take my hat to you guys doing this degree of work. :cheers

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I'll Second what Gran Torismo is saying. It's guys like you who inspire the rest of us mere mortals to pick up a new tool and attempt something we've never done before. It's a big boost for the entire hobby, and those folks personally involved. Also, 2 more irreplaceable, left-for-dead real GTO's are being put back on the road. Long after we're all gone, they just may still be around!!! Keep posting those photos!!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys, but I am not extraordinary. Just an engine and trans guy who cant afford to pay someone to do this stuff, so I learned how. Anyone can do this stuff if they take their time, read how, and practice a couple times before they try it on a keeper. I learned to paint by shooting my 76 C10 shortbox, a 67 Cougar, a 79 TA, and a 79 Formula I made look better cheap. I learn more on each one I do, and Mitch is way ahead of me in a lot of ways, he does very nice work. My welds are crap compared to his, and I really need to step up and buy some better equipment for this stuff. :)

I thought about the full floor, but with the truck freight, it being more expensive than the kit, and also needing the firewall patches that were included with the kit price, I went with these. I did a full floor in the 71 Mustang I have been doing, much easier indeed except the only way to get it in the car was through the windshield opening with the dash out. If you want to feel really good about a project other than Mitch's check out this one. 71 Mustang

Really I am not a paint and body guy, I build engines, transmissions and carbs.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I do all the mechanical myself, and body work to an extent, but I am no welder. In California, I haven't needed to be! The norm out here is all original metal and pans, with the exception of trunk pans sometimes due to rear window leakage. I will probably replace the trunk floor in my '67, as it's sort of thin in a few places. The car came from Tennessee in 1983. My '65, though, is all original thru-and thru, and the floors/trunk is mint. Thank goodness the original owner moved from Spokane Washington to Los Gatos, California in 1966!!! You guys doing this extent of resurrection on these cars really impress me. My hat is off to you both, and I think positive thoughts for Mitch every day!!!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My Cougar came from California, had lots of nasty dents but not much rust. Quite different from most cars I have now. I am jealous of you guys for the cars you have available, and the weather, but not much else.. :)

This one came from South Carolina, dont know anything about its history or why its rusted so bad top down. The other cars I got in that state werent this bad, maybe it was stuck in a coral reef for a decade or so before I got it..

1 - 20 of 319 Posts