Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the hood scoop insert on the '65 have any kind of sealant or gasket under it? I can't find anything from PY or Ames. I'm thinking of just applying some seam sealant or something under it. :patriot:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, nothing under the scoop. Metal to metal contact. No need for a gasket or sealer.
Kinda what I thought, mine will let a little water leak through onto the carbs so that's why I asked. I don't think I want to put seam seal or silicone under it in case I need to remove it later - I don't want it stuck down too hard

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Does the hood scoop insert on the '65 have any kind of sealant or gasket under it? I can't find anything from PY or Ames. I'm thinking of just applying some seam sealant or something under it. :patriot:
they do sometimes leak. if you look on page 83 of the gto restoration book, you will see some type of gasket in the illustration.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I've owned and scavenged a bunch of '65-'67 GTO's, and none ever had a gasket. If you want to seal it, I would use AC dum dum or strip caulking. It's dry, easy to stick in place, will flatten when you squeeze it, but will peel right off and not leave a mess.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've owned and scavenged a bunch of '65-'67 GTO's, and none ever had a gasket. If you want to seal it, I would use AC dum dum or strip caulking. It's dry, easy to stick in place, will flatten when you squeeze it, but will peel right off and not leave a mess.
Thanks, that sounds like a good idea, I doubt I would ever have to remove it again, but who knows?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts