Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. I am new here and this is my first post. Hopefully I am doing this right.
I have a line on a pair of doors from a 65 Lemans convertible. My car is a 64 GTO non post. I have had the car for many years and finally have time to begin resurrecting this classic. My question is will the 65 convertible doors fit my 64 ? I have moderate experience doing body and paint work so slight modifications would not be an issue. The doors currently on the car will need a fair amount of work if I opted to repair them the 65 doors are fairly solid. I'm sure someone will be able to advise me. Much thanks.

·
Registered
383 Posts
They'll work without much of a problem but they won't be correct. The difference is how the door lock cylinder is held in place. '64 has a slot in the door frame and uses a long retainer for the lock cylinder therefore R&I access is from the outside of the door frame. '65 there is no slot and the lock cylinder is held in with a short retainer and the only access is from the inside of the door shell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NOS Only:
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I can live with the small minor difference. The 65 doors are pretty solid. My current doors have the usual rust on the bottoms with the bottoms of the inner frames in need of repair. I could likely make the pieces with my metal working tools but anyway you look at it would be time consuming. Fabricating cutting welding etc. You jarred my memory on the retaining clips as I remember removing the lock cylinders twenty plus yrs ago. Again thanks for your willingness to share info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts