Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - long time follower needing some help. I'm in the process of pulling out the 326/2 and ST300 from our '66 Tempest convertible, with the intention of swapping in a '64 389/4 and (eventually) 200-4r transmission.

Question: the 389 has no starter (as it was mounted to previous trans from the Catalina) or flexplate, so I need to re-use the starter/solenoid and flexplate from the 326. I am assuming this will work without issue but wanted to check with you all first.

Anything I'm missing or not considering? Any help is appreciated in advance - thanks!

Mods please let me know if this belongs in another forum.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Since the 326 starter mounts to the block and the '64 starter mounts to the bellhousing, how ya gonna mount the 326 starter to the '64 engine- weld it up and hope the starter never fails?

Am I understanding you correctly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since the 326 starter mounts to the block and the '64 starter mounts to the bellhousing, how ya gonna mount the 326 starter to the '64 engine- weld it up and hope the starter never fails?

Am I understanding you correctly?
The 64 blocks have provisions for the starter so it will bolt right up.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
The 64 blocks have provisions for the starter so it will bolt right up.

Thanks
Ah, OK. I thought only the '64 GTO blocks had the "contemporary" starter location. Then you should be good to go. I looked up the fit, and it seemed to indicate that the 1964 and up will work, and if 1963 and earlier engines were fitted with the later flywheels, you would need a spacer to move the later flywheel out.

There is also a company that makes trans adapters for early engines to late trans conversions and they use a Mopar starter to bolt to the adapter to get around not having the block provision.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, OK. I thought only the '64 GTO blocks had the "contemporary" starter location. Then you should be good to go. I looked up the fit, and it seemed to indicate that the 1964 and up will work, and if 1963 and earlier engines were fitted with the later flywheels, you would need a spacer to move the later flywheel out.

There is also a company that makes trans adapters for early engines to late trans conversions and they use a Mopar starter to bolt to the adapter to get around not having the block provision.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts