Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy All,

Still taking my time trying to get smart before I buy a 66. As I look around, I start wondering about some of the claims/options I see on 66s up for sale. Wondering if you all could shed a littlel light:

1. Head rests on front buckets. I see a few cars with them but they don't look right to me. Were these truly an option?

2. Factory tachs. I've noticed a few with these as well, legit?

3. Center console. Some cars have them some don't. Is there a correlation between "coupes" and "hardtops"? Plainly asked, did all 66s have center consoles?

4. What was the difference between a coupe and a hardtop?

Thanks,
Rick

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
1. Head rests on front buckets. I see a few cars with them but they don't look right to me. Were these truly an option?

Group Option Code 571

2. Factory tachs. I've noticed a few with these as well, legit?

Group Option Code 448

3. Center console.

Group Option Code 472

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I've seen a few high back '66's over the years. All of those also had a fully reclining passenger seat. Neat option. All of the '66's I've owned had a tach, (I've had 3) and with the tach, it's a "rally cluster". A center console was an option with both stickshift and automatic. Most seem to have consoles, except automatic cars with the gear selector on the column. My first GTO, and first car ever, was a Platinum silver '66 4 speed hardtop with a black interior. While I currently don't own one, I've always had a soft spot for the '66. As a side note, more '66 GTO's were produced than any other year: somewhere over 96,000 cars.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
the coupe has a pillar at the front of the rear side windows, and a full frame around the door windows. They are more rare than a hardtop, however they usually bring a lower price. The more i see them, the more I like them.....Take your time and find what you want.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the comebacks and expertise. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions when I get closer to pulling the trigger.

Currently, I check ebay, auto trader, old cars online and one or two other sites just about daily. Trying to get a feel for the market, etc.

Thanks!
Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts