Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at a 66 gto 6.5 4speed original engine and trans runs the question I have is it has a tachometer on the center console in front of shifter did some cars come stock with tach in that location?also I forgot this car has factory air is that normal or something special?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Factory A/C was not very common, but many southern cars were equipped with A/C.

The console-mounted tach was not a factory option on the GTO, but it was available on earlier full-size Pontiac cars (Catalina/Bonneville). Those console-mounted tachs were housed in a cool, bullet-shaped chrome housing and are worth at least $200 in good, working condition.

If you are considering buying this car, I strongly recommend you spend the $65 to get the Pontiac Historic Services (PHS) documentation package for the car.

You provide the VIN to the folks at PHS; they'll provide a data package that tells you how the car was originally equipped, including colors, options, build dates and assembly plant location. You'll probably even get some indication of the option installation rate for A/C.

Here's a link to the PHS site with their pricing and order info:
PHS Historic Services

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your info I really want this car and appreciate your knowledge of the gto. Thanks again dman

·
Registered
727 Posts
Do your homework.

First thing to verify: is it a "real" GTO?

For all 1965 to 1971 GTO's, the VIN must begin with "242" for it to be a "real" GTO.
The body data plate must also verify the Fisher Body model/style number.
Lots of good info here:
1967 GTO Specifications - UltimateGTO.com

There are many fake GTO's out there; make sure you are getting the real thing.
If it's not a real GTO, the price should be appropriate...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jmt455 thanks for your help I will verify all this tomorrow and give you a heads up if it was the real deal. Again appreciate your time. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts