Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The beginning! Restoring for my step-father's '66 GTO. He passed away late last year. His goal was to do this when he retired. So we are taking it on for him. Anybody have any suggestions for digital instrument cluster? What about fuel injection? It has the 389 but not the tri-power. I am adding an A/C, power steering and brakes, and upgrading the rest of the suspension. Gotta do the radio upgrade (sorry but the A/M radio just won't get it done) and of course the exhaust has to sound good. Does anyone have a suggestion for custom wheels? Sorry this is vague and rambling but we are excited to get this rolling memorial started!

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Nice project, it depends on how much your budget is? If it was mine I would go back stock as much as possible no fi or dash mods. Keep the 389 keep the dash stock that is part of the GTOS appeal

·
Registered
156 Posts
Dakota Digital makes some cool gauges that fit right in, but I don't know if they'll work with the original engine. The one's I'm familiar with are designed for the LS GM engines.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are going with the original engine but trying to turn it to somewhat of a daily driver. Power brakes, steering, suspension, and of course the radio. Just not sure about the gauges. Also thought about going to leather interior but that one is up in the air too. Lots of decisions! Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looks like you have lots of things to fix. Good luck and looking forward to seeing the progress of your project.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Metal and some of the parts should be delivered this week. Now the fun really begins! Once it is split, I'll post a picture.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
One Might consider a Redi-Rad to keep the AM radio Stock but still gives you an Aux-in jack to play FM Or blue tooth Phone music thru the speakers

·
Registered
14 Posts
As far as wheels go you can't beat the Cragar SS's. Very period correct and if you like bigger wheels they make a 17" SS also. Whatever you get get direct drilled. I remember on my drum brakes I had to add a spacer for the 15" wheels.

Dakota gauges should be compatible since they specialize in classic cars.

Good luck and have some fun with your Goat.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The beginning! Restoring for my step-father's '66 GTO. He passed away late last year. His goal was to do this when he retired. So we are taking it on for him. Anybody have any suggestions for digital instrument cluster? What about fuel injection? It has the 389 but not the tri-power. I am adding an A/C, power steering and brakes, and upgrading the rest of the suspension. Gotta do the radio upgrade (sorry but the A/M radio just won't get it done) and of course the exhaust has to sound good. Does anyone have a suggestion for custom wheels? Sorry this is vague and rambling but we are excited to get this rolling memorial started! View attachment 134732
I installed some dakota digital gauges in my 67 after my engine rebuild so I could keep track of temps,pressure etc. Been about 6 months with no issues.
20200622_163513.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wheels on a 1966 GTO?
Pontiac Rallye One's of course!
Nice looking dash. I redid the wood grain on mine back in the 90's. I bought it from Paddock but I think they are out of business now. It was real wood veneer then. Is yours original or redone?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Nice looking dash. I redid the wood grain on mine back in the 90's. I bought it from Paddock but I think they are out of business now. It was real wood veneer then. Is yours original or redone?
That's not my dash, that's rmtz67s...the post right above mine lol. I wish the wood on my dash looked like that! Personally though, I am not a fan of the digitals.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's not my dash, that's rmtz67s...the post right above mine lol. I wish the wood on my dash looked like that! Personally though, I am not a fan of the digitals.
Are there kits to replace the woodgrain anymore? I think mine used contact cement so since you could move it around a little. It wasn't that hard and looked great.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Are there kits to replace the woodgrain anymore? I think mine used contact cement so since you could move it around a little. It wasn't that hard and looked great.
I have no idea. I would think there's plenty of woodgrain kits that aren't specific to vehicles out there. Making the wood on the dash look good is still pretty far down the line for me. Almost nothing in my dash even works lol. I have a speedo that's off by about 25% (I changed the rearend so that's a known commodity). Oil and temp gauges off by about 50%. Tach/gas gauge don't work. No idiot lights and I think 1 dash light works.
Looking under there? Ughhh...I fix cars for a living..if I knew someone I could trust to utterly rewire the dash, I'd drop it off to them tomorrow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have no idea. I would think there's plenty of woodgrain kits that aren't specific to vehicles out there. Making the wood on the dash look good is still pretty far down the line for me. Almost nothing in my dash even works lol. I have a speedo that's off by about 25% (I changed the rearend so that's a known commodity). Oil and temp gauges off by about 50%. Tach/gas gauge don't work. No idiot lights and I think 1 dash light works.
Looking under there? Ughhh...I fix cars for a living..if I knew someone I could trust to utterly rewire the dash, I'd drop it off to them tomorrow.
Original Parts group has a complete underdash wiring kit for $460.00. :) Probably the easiest and best way to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For the radio, Antique Auto Radios has a great replacement that looks stock but has modern 4 speaker stereo and built in Bluetooth for hands free phone use . also has Aux input for MP3/IPOD operation. I have one and it works great.
Microphone for Bluetooth is built right into the radio. Contact: Antique Auto Radio Inc. www.antiqueautoradio.com

For a 1966 GTO use AAR p/n: 542201BT 1966 Tempest/Lemans/GTO Bluetooth Radio
This radio looks absolutely stock has die cast knobs like original 1966 AM/FM Delco Radio.
AAR also has a dual voice coil 4"x10" front speaker that fits a 1966 GTO. P/N: SDC410 4x10 Dual Voice Coil Speaker

·
Registered
14 Posts
For the radio, Antique Auto Radios has a great replacement that looks stock but has modern 4 speaker stereo and built in Bluetooth for hands free phone use . also has Aux input for MP3/IPOD operation. I have one and it works great.
Microphone for Bluetooth is built right into the radio. Contact: Antique Auto Radio Inc. www.antiqueautoradio.com

For a 1966 GTO use AAR p/n: 542201BT 1966 Tempest/Lemans/GTO Bluetooth Radio
This radio looks absolutely stock has die cast knobs like original 1966 AM/FM Delco Radio.
AAR also has a dual voice coil 4"x10" front speaker that fits a 1966 GTO. P/N: SDC410 4x10 Dual Voice Coil Speaker
My experience and many comments on another forum is most of these radios are sub par in performance and sound. You are better off leaving the stock radio in place and buying a new style radio and putting in in the glove box or under the seat. It will be cheaper and have better sound. I had 2 different Custom Auto Sound radios in my 57 Chevy I had and it was never as good as the radios in my DD. I usde them because they had cassette players. I know, get with it but I am old and old school. :) JMHO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The beginning! Restoring for my step-father's '66 GTO. He passed away late last year. His goal was to do this when he retired. So we are taking it on for him. Anybody have any suggestions for digital instrument cluster? What about fuel injection? It has the 389 but not the tri-power. I am adding an A/C, power steering and brakes, and upgrading the rest of the suspension. Gotta do the radio upgrade (sorry but the A/M radio just won't get it done) and of course the exhaust has to sound good. Does anyone have a suggestion for custom wheels? Sorry this is vague and rambling but we are excited to get this rolling memorial started! View attachment 134732

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts