Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I've gotten much help from all of you on my 66 gto questions. Here's the latest one. The car is in the paint shop for a new Blue Charcoal finish. I'm looking around for the correct color for the trunk. I know there is two different splatter colors that the 66 used. I believe I want the black aqua splatter. It may look the best up against the blue charcoal. My painter has suggested the zolotone paint. What zolatone color do all of you think is the most correct for me?

Also, I'm restoring the grilles. Would you paint the parking light bezel area the flat black color of the grille or the silver color of the outer bezel area.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't know why you would use zolatone, unless you really like it. Get a couple of cans of different splatter colors that you like and have him do a test panel with the zolatone and the rattle cans. See what you like best.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did some more research and am completely confused now as to what brand or if I should spay the trunk with rattle can paint, a black aqua Zolatone paint ....Is Zolatone a bad idea.....I just want a correct splatter and I would like it durable. Help me narrow this down.........thanks again...

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
When I did my trunk, the overspray got on everything. After I had my car painted I never had the guts or patience to actually mask the hole car to prevent overspray. I would do the trunk before I painted the car. I ended up just using silver por 15 on my entire trunk with a brush and called it good.. Splatter looks better, but it still looks good and shiny.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
No problem with the Zolotone. Black Aqua is correct, just like the spare tire cover if you have one. Thing is, it's a rough finish, so if you don't like it, just shoot something else over it. I think the light pods are black, but I haven't had a '66 since 1991......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts