Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which set of tyres are best suited... they will go on 15inch rally 2s... 66 gto circa 380hp motor...3.00 final drive.
bf Goodrich radials / goodyear polyglas / redline firestone / looking for good drivability / handling / longevity / acceleration ... Anyone here with experience of any of these tyres??/ Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Which set of tyres are best suited... they will go on 15inch rally 2s... 66 gto circa 380hp motor...3.00 final drive.
bf Goodrich radials / goodyear polyglas / redline firestone / looking for good drivability / handling / longevity / acceleration ... Anyone here with experience of any of these tyres??/ Thanks in advance.
From personal experience the OEM polyglas are only good for show. They are like riding on potato skins. I took the Firestone redlines off and put on BFG 15 in radials on 7 in Rallye II's. Much safer feel. That said the original suspension is not "radial tuned" so you will feel some wheel hop on rough roads and when you jump on the gas on a cement surface. I can get a first to second chirp. 3.55 Auburn locker rear.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok... I have a set of redlines (firestones) that look real nice..but will keep them for show use. I am working out which tyres will be best for touring etc...and still look right on the car. I know European GT cars of the period all used Michelin xwx's but not sure on appearance and the widths they come in may not be suitable for the torque rating. thanks again...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any on ideas on tyres?? Also what are a good size for the front and rears on radial tyres? 225/60/15 front and 245/60/15 rears??
thanks again...

·
Registered
440 Posts
At ALKYGTO's suggestion, I populated some of My Garage. The main pic shows a front tire turned to the right. The 2 photos in the Wheels and Tires section are from a gas tank swap. But they show the stance from the rear and the wheel well fill of the left rear tire

1 - 11 of 11 Posts