Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, just found this forum and hoping someone can help with a few ?. im working on a 66 gto 389 tripower, does anyone know the curb weight, its a 389 tripower/ 4 spd, no air
also the vibration dampener is kind of odd, its more or less just a hub that the pulley bolts to, no rubber core and outer ring like a chevy? is this right?its also cracked near the keyway , are any replacements available? last ?, someone put a 58 chevy rearend in it and were trying to find a 66 rear to go in it, does anyone know what will directly interchange(chevy, buick olds ect) and will gears from a chevy work in the pontiac rear. any info is really appreciated
thanks

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Curb weight is around 3600 pounds for a hardtop. The balancer should have rubber visible between the two pieces. It may be painted. It doesn't matter, though, 'cuz it's cracked. Unusable. New ones are available through the vendors (Year One, Ames, ETC.). Get a new one. Any 10 or 12 bolt rear from any GM A-Body from 1964 thru 1972 will work. By A body, I mean Tempest, GTO, Lemans, Chevelle, Skylark, Cutlass, etc. The 1966 and later units are one inch wider than the '64 and '65 units. You can run a slightly wider rim with the earlier units. Chevy gears? What for? Use the gears the rear came with, or spend the big bucks and get a posi with new gears. Hope this helps.
Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
No Luck, Welcome. You should have no problem finding the proper fitting 10 bolt rear for your GTO. Consider going with a 3.55 rear gear, as this is a good all around set up for your car. :cheers EA

·
Registered
94 Posts
No luck, I just took my 355's out of my 10 bolt "66" two weeks ago and put in 323's, PM me if interested in buying.
Good luck.....Rick

·
Registered
94 Posts
How do you like the 3.23s?
Hi Rukee,
Not a huge change, I still need to change the speedo gear, but I do have peace of mind having all new seals and bearings.
Thanks for asking....Rick:eek:

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Eric, are you sure you don't have 2.93'S? That's what my buddie's '67 had (it was an A/C car) and it would kick down into passing gear at 85mph!! We'd listen to Deep Purple's "Highway Star" and go out looking for prey........

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Yep that's what i meant...2.93's....a friend of mine had a 66, maroon, named "highway star".........I am thinking of a set of 3.55's . I need a little more gear so I can bake some of the excess meat off the rear tires :willy: :party: Eric

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Go with 3:23's or 3:36's. That way, you can use the same carrier. 3:55's, in my opinion, are a little too short legged for sustained hiway speeds and $4 gas. My '67 has 3:36 gears, and at about 70mph, it feels like it needs to upshift into the next (non-existant 4th) gear. Accelleration off the line is good, though. Try driving someones goat that has 3:55's and see what you think.....
Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
I was also thinking of the 4 speed auto conversion.....much lower 1st gear ( for broiling, or frying tires) and OD to see if I can get the old goat to float on the open road........:willy: :cheers Thanks for the input fellas.EA

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Sounds like you guys like to roast your meats and fry your tires. Me, I like to boil my hides. Yeah, I thought about an OD 4 speed auto in the '67 also, or a GearVendors OD unit. Thing is, I don't drive the car enough these days to benefit. The 200R and 700R4 can be made to work well, but then it's not original, blah blah. I wish they had a lockup converter for the TH400. That would make a huge difference. I think Rukee's got the right idea: run intermediate gears and adjust the tire size/height to match....I think the stock tires are about 25-26 inches tall. Sounds like we need to come up with some tire cooking recipes: Bake, Broil, Fry, Smoke, Boil----what's your flavor?
Jeff

1 - 20 of 22 Posts