Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got a 66 coupe......the body panels are all in perfect alignment. the hood closes fine and a consistent gap down the sides. But, the hood at the hinge end does not close/regress completely to be flush with the quarter panels. if you press down, it will go flush but pops back up....like the springs are too much for it to settle properly. is this possible or a normal problem??? any correction or solution?? thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
The easy solution is to sell me the hood cheap.:willy:

But seriously, check the bolts where the hood bolts to the hinges and where the hinges bolt to the inside of the fenders, is everything tight? Also check the rubber seal where the cowl meets the firewall and the rubber alignment bumpers closest to the hinges to make sure these aren't pushing up against the hood when it closes.

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
i've got a 66 coupe......the body panels are all in perfect alignment. the hood closes fine and a consistent gap down the sides. But, the hood at the hinge end does not close/regress completely to be flush with the quarter panels. if you press down, it will go flush but pops back up....like the springs are too much for it to settle properly. is this possible or a normal problem??? any correction or solution?? thanks
Get a package of U body shims from a parts store. Raise your hood high enough so that when you loosen all of the bolts attaching the brace to the hood that your hood does not slide out of allignment. Slide the shims between the hood brace and the hood on the front bolts only. This will force the rear part of the hood down I tested mine with 1 shim on each side and it was an improvement, when I used 2 on each side it was a perfect fit.
Good luck,

·
Registered
450 Posts
the hood at the hinge end does not close/regress completely to be flush with the quarter panels. if you press down, it will go flush but pops back up....like the springs are too much for it to settle properly. is this possible or a normal problem??? any correction or solution?? thanks
It means your hood hinges are worn out. You have to replace the hinges or have them rebuilt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts