Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm 2 banjo bolts away from driving it. Got the front end rebuilt. Like the way it sets althought the rear springs are next along with clean paint and repair of the third member. Floor pans. interior and top are have all showed up. Since it's parchment and white It will sit in a closet until paint work is done. BUT it will be driven during this process...
I think the new wheels look good.:D

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
even having one in the garage behind me it amazes me how sharp the lines of these cars are every time i see a pic...like the knockoffs on your rims and i always liked the shark gills of the LeMans...looks like a big ole hammerhead ready to rip a stingray into shreds....:cheers

Just a suggestion on the rears, these car set low as they came if you plan on running wide tires you may want to get the HD springs which i think are the vert ones, even so i had to add air bags to stiffen them just a bit so it did not rub over speed bumps.

I bet you all ready get people slowing down to stare at that sweet old ride in your drive...

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Insta... I seem to have plenty of clearance even with it sagging. Ended up going 15x8's 4.25 backspace with 225 60 15's all the way around it. BUT I haven't driven it yet. Gonna bounce in the rear when I do as the shocks are junk. Should find a rub quick if it's gonna do it.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
225's should clear just fine....get a set of monroe gasmatics good bang for a little buck and i really am glad i got the bags, set them up independantly and i can adjust and level it (only using around 8psi) and it handles with much less body roll too.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got some more stuff done. Got the floor boards in And working on the passenger side fender. It was pretty bent PLUS someone drilled 18 holes in it. Getting closer.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Looks like nice work so far, this will be one nice cruiser when your finished.

Parchment/white interior in a vert is so nice and the wheels totally rock. :cheers

I think it's cool that people appreciate the Tempests and Lemans rather than clone them into GTO's. They are such cool cars in their own right. I mean, those are some neat names for a car model and they had specific trim that fit the bodylines and added unique character. And they make great "sleapers" because they are not GTO's. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah someone has done some body work all over this thing. Thankfully it was the owners previous to the last as he's the one that drilled all the holes. This car has been fixed before but it was done well but 10+ years ago. All and all it's coming together nicely. Thanks for the compliment on the wheels.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
I agree with Alky. The wheels look great, and Tempest's and Leman's have the killer looks themselves......and they're rarer every day. That car just looks MEAN.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
:agree but then again i am a little biased.....
Tempest -
a violent windstorm, especially one with rain, hail, or snow.
a violent commotion, disturbance, or tumult.

and we all know what LeMans is...:party:
i have always been drawn to the "faces" our brand put on our cars, tell me with those gills that does'nt look like a hammerhead shark, Always thought my 69' bird looked like a hawk...there is nothing more identifiable coming at you than a Pontiac...even the wife and daughter call Catalinas from a 1/4 mile away.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the compliments guy's and I couldn't be happier keeping it originalish. I agree with the front end. Just pure muscle, mean looking. Character. Absolutely my favorite body style. To get lucky enough to find a convertible. Dreams come true. As much as I love me a GTO. I can make it run like one if'n I want. Should stand out as like's been said. Not many "Lemans" running around. So anyway I got the floors smoothed out coated sealed and insulated. Next ... On to that fender again. I beat and banged and hammered and bent and dollied until I got it close enough. Almost got it straight enough. Gotta work on the door/fender edges. I HATE doing body work. I mean really. but it's cheaper if I do it. I HATE bondo but is a nessacry evil at times. I'm not smart enough to lay it thin enough so I guess I add extra work sanding it all off. Thankfully it's pretty straight ;and doesnt need much This fender is the worst part. I'm slowly getting it and may give out but won't give up.

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also got a 326 emblem in from an ebay purchase. Only thing I am missing is the actual lemans letters on both sides. Well I have 1 e. Thankfully they repop them.

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok.. Did I mention I hate doing body work? I guess I only have 6-8 hrs in this fender/door and it is getting closer. Did I mention I hate body work? Got the fender/hood/door all aligned. Gonna slowly work my way around the car until it's ready to paint.

Started taking the seats apart. Top half... Near perfect. Pad burlap and all. Bottom half.... JUNK. Well the seat base is fine (or will be blasted and repainted) but the springs are junk. Bummer ya can't just buy bottom seat pads/burlap along with the available bottom springs. So I need a couple three hundred dollors to finish up the seats.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
looks like your on it....do one panel at a time and get them as smooth as you can then sand to 180....then a few coats of grey 2K over your black epoxy and do it all over again with 220 ....rinse. repeat 400, rinse repeat 600....LOL, isnt body work fun. FYI the front door edge according to fischer body book will set 1/32 in from the front fender rear edge for clearance, watch how much you build up there and check clearance when opening and closing the doors so it wont scuff and chip the paint.....coming along nicely, reminds me of my car every time i see your progress.....:cheers

look familiar...i used USC body icing (white filler) for any fill less than 1/8" spreads much nicer than bondo and is 2 part polyester, you can even brush it on. It also sands better than bondo and leaves no pinholes. For the most part the whole thing was skim coated with it to get it flat and straight.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pulled the engine and trans. Actually looks pretty good...Considering it has three coats of paint on the engine. Thankfully two of the coats are just on top. Got the intake cleaned up and painted it flat alluminum. Gonna paint the engine the metallic blue I just like the look of allumium intake. Gotta sand out a few runs on the firewall and clean up a fenderwell.

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Scrape, wash, pressure wash, clean, rub, scrape, clean and repeat...... Mask, spray admire BEER!!!!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 98 Posts