Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of restoring my 1966 Lemans convertable. While removing the driver side door I discovered that the upper hinge was made of aluminum. There was pitting on the hinge so my question is, being two different types of metal, shouldn't there be a gasket or something in between the hinge and body? Is there any type of coating to be used to prevent corrosion? Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
830 Posts
The factory hinges came in two flavors, Cast and Stamped.
I think your lemans Like mine would have cast hinges.
If it is indeed aluminum, it is not a factory hinge.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you do stay with the aluminum hinge take some precautions to avoid dissimilar metal corrosion. Make sure to use a quality primer/paint before you reinstall the hinge to prevent metal to aluminum contact. In the aircraft industry we use a zinc or polyurethane primer. At times we will even use a sealer depending on the job at hand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you do stay with the aluminum hinge take some precautions to avoid dissimilar metal corrosion. Make sure to use a quality primer/paint before you reinstall the hinge to prevent metal to aluminum contact. In the aircraft industry we use a zinc or polyurethane primer. At times we will even use a sealer depending on the job at hand.
Thanks guys, the bottom hinge is stamped steel but top is I'm guessing aluminum. As pitted as it was, I believe it is the original. I will find a good primer to use as a coating. I did order two hinges from Ames and they say that the cast is what came on the upper hinges for a 66. Appreciate your responses.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yes, the CAST hinges can be very rough. Here's one of the better ones I've seen;

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so not to sound dumb but are the cast ones made out of some kind of lighter metal? mine look just like your picture just the bottom hinges are heavier than the top ones. I suppose they may have been changed out at some time. Interested to see what Ames sends me. They claim that the tops were aluminum and the bottoms were stamped steel which is what I have. I appreciate all the info you have sent me. My bottom hinges cleaned up nice and look like your pics, my top ones were corroded and have major pits in them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts