Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a power wash to the tranny while the engine was being rebuilt just recently; noticed on the right side of the tranny there was a yellow 2 letter stenciling (DB) on the 389-4 w/3 speed Hurst shifter with FOMOCO in the casing on the left side. I hearing some rumors of this being a special tranny, WHAT'S UP with this. I purchased her in January 2016 and am learning various and interesting amounts of knowledge about her but I just can't put my finger on this one.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
During a power wash to the tranny while the engine was being rebuilt just recently; noticed on the right side of the tranny there was a yellow 2 letter stenciling (DB) on the 389-4 w/3 speed Hurst shifter with FOMOCO in the casing on the left side. I hearing some rumors of this being a special tranny, WHAT'S UP with this. I purchased her in January 2016 and am learning various and interesting amounts of knowledge about her but I just can't put my finger on this one.
Good heavy duty transmission that will hold up to a lot of abuse - have had several. Just like the Ford "top loader" 4-speed minus a gear. The Pontiac bellhousing has the dual bolt pattern for the Dearborn (as it is called by GM) which began on the 1965 Model years. Nice gearing, but the only gripe I have is that when you are street racing and already on a roll at highway speeds, you cannot drop down a gear like a 4-speed to make the car jump away from your challenger - so it makes him think he beat you. Go another round with him from a dead stop and you will wipe the smile off his face as you power out in front of him -my experience.

"The transmission offerings were revised in 1965. The Muncie 3-speed manual was replaced with a Ford-built Dearborn Toploader 3-speed. This transmission is the strongest manual transmission ever put in a GTO and required a new trans*mission bellhousing to mount it. This transmission offer*ing was retained without changes other than coding until the 1970 model year and the retiring of the Dearborn Top*loader 3-speed manual transmission. The new base transmission was a Muncie heavy-duty 3-speed manual transmission that was related to the Muncie 4speeds."

:thumbsup:

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Agreed.....though not as flashy as a Muncie 4 speed, the Dearborn 3 speed is actually a stronger unit. Not a bad transmission at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts