Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I have a 68 Lemans with a 2 speed and a 2.73 rear end. I am having the motor rebuilt and would like to up the rear end gearing a bit. I came across a guy selling a fully rebuilt axle from a 67 Chevelle with a 3.08 gear. Any idea if this axle would fit my 68. If so, any modifications needed? Thanks a lot for the help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh, you mean half in narrower overall width. I have plenty of rubber to fill that gap!

And just to make sure, no issues hooking up to the current drive shaft right? Thanks again for the help on this one

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Ahh, you mean half in narrower overall width. I have plenty of rubber to fill that gap!

And just to make sure, no issues hooking up to the current drive shaft right? Thanks again for the help on this one
I may be wrong here, but Pontiac uses a big universal bearing cap and Chevy has a smaller one. You simply purchase a U-joint made to have both the Pontiac large caps and Chevy smaller caps. I vaugely recall having to do this once myself. NAPA should be able to help you on this. The U-joints are made by Dana Spicer. Just bring an end cap in from each size - if you need to do this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts