Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the guy I sold my '67 BOP rear end to reached out to me about potentially selling his car, which is a '67 GTO Convertible. The last thing I need is a project, I already have my '66, but I'm pondering this as a flip. Curious about opinions on value. I casually follow sales of GTOs so am not clueless, but given the state of condition on this car I'm curious about what others that know more may think since it is somewhere between a solid daily driver and a project car. I'm told it was a daily driver before the rear end broke.

Here's what I know:
-don't know cowl tag data yet, but let's assume it is a real 242 car
-no PHS docs available
-Original drivetrain gone. It has what looks like an SBC :( with a later model 5 speed manual (that has some issues)
-rear end in it is a 12 bolt that had a c-clip failure on hwy (would come with the BOP rear I sold him)
-car looks to have been in a minor front ender and has one crunched door from the axle failure on the fwy
-CA non-coastal car, no rust beyond the typical mild stuff. Let's assume no major floor rust or rot
-interior looks bad. its frankenstein-ish and looks in need of a complete redo. are split bench seats in a conv a thing?

Other than the above, there is no hard info to go on, just some pics (I'm attaching a few). I may go see it in person at some point. Bottom line is it is nearly a runner (I'm told). Looks like a bit of a basket case, but may have good bones. Probably ideal for an LS swap, restomod guy given the lack of a Poncho drivetrain. I'm not looking to put any effort into this myself, am mainly interested in flip.

So lemme have it....opinions! My guess is that a true 67 conv in this condition is worth like $17K??

Attachments

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,678 Posts
Unless it's a solid driver, I don't see more than $5k worth of car there. It looks like it needs a ton of elbow grease, so it's no quick flip, by any means. Plus it seems riddled with bugs and hacks, which a GTO owner would want corrected. So... In the condition that it's in, I would build it as a street/ strip/ weekend warrior car. Gut the interior, finish the racing gauge setup, carpet, racing buckets, no back seat, roll cage, 5 point harnesses, killer stereo, repair the current drive train, new paint.

To make it a GTO would cost $15k in parts.

I think itd be worth $25k as a restomod freak... $45k as a GTO, but man... you think your 66 is a lot of work.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have to agree with the others on this. 20 years ago this would have been a parts car. The $15K in parts may be generous. Add labor and you'd be $40K deep in this one quick, and I'm not talking about a blue chip restoration. At that price point, it would still be on the rough side. There is just so much wrong with it.

That all being said, if it's cheep (and I mean REALLY cheep), and you were really just going to flip it, I think you could make a few bucks on it. As a restoration project, I'd find something better. All the work you can see is hack. How bad is what you can't? This would be a perfect Mad Max style build.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,678 Posts
EVEN THE ASH TRAY IS HACKED! lol. On a positive note, if you're looking to build one of these, that GTO will get you 98% there!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
126 Posts
99% of profitable "flips" are ones that you pick up cheap, don't touch them, and resell for a net gain. Ideally...buy it, put on a trailer, sell, and then take it off the trailer at its new home.

I have just started the rebuild/resto of my 67 hardtop. 90% of the parts are original to the car, but aged as expected with minimal rust issues. Similar to the vert, but with a full original interior minus carpet and a few plastic items. I have had it since 84, third owner...it's in the best condition of any car I have ever started with and have $20,000 worth of parts listed to buy (using the AMES catalog as price points). This list does not include any engine, transmission, or rear end components. I'm sure the list is missing some undiscovered items to date too. Point is...For the buyer do a full rebuild to a respectable local car show quality...They'll have a lot in it if they do the labor. If they pay for labor, they'll have more in it than one can get out of it.

My thoughts assume that they would take it back to some form of originality. Resto-modding the snot out of it would be much cheaper, but so would the final value. GTO owners are a picky lot.

If it is a 242 car...$5k should allow some room on the flip and close to a $10K sale price for some one with "the bug" and some play money to start with (especially if they have not priced GTO parts for the rebuild). All this is location depending, of couse.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all. Completely agree...I'm walking away, although I thought a convertible would have more value to be honest, even if this one is a total hack job

Sure would be a fun "beater" GTO beach car for 5K if it ran.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,678 Posts
Thanks all. Completely agree...I'm walking away, although I thought a convertible would have more value to be honest, even if this one is a total hack job

Sure would be a fun "beater" GTO beach car for 5K if it ran.
i THINK IT HAS PLENTY OF VALUE AND POTENTIAL, BUT MAN, IT WOULD TAKE (DAM CAPS LOCK) $5000 just to replace the interior... without fixing anything.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i THINK IT HAS PLENTY OF VALUE AND POTENTIAL, BUT MAN, IT WOULD TAKE (DAM CAPS LOCK) $5000 just to replace the interior... without fixing anything.
Totally.
On that note, was a split bench an option in convertibles? Can't say I've ever seen that in a GTO

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,678 Posts
Cool. Have a column shifter (disabled) myself...
In my youth I used to cut the shift lug off the column and then bondo and paint it, then I'd fill in the PRNDL on the dash and paint that too. It used to drive the know-it-alls crazy when they'd see a Blazer or Nova with a factory floor shift, and theyd immediately check the column and dash. Then I would say "oh is that rare?".

·
Registered
813 Posts
You can afford to pay a little more when its for you, but when you want to flip..... Got to get them cheap enough. Just curious, is that the price he gave you?

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
....and that top color ? Guess when the drapes match the carpet you know it's authentic 👍 sorry don't mean to bag on a car you were interested in just amazing what people do especially if it was in good shape before King Arthur got to it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts