Pontiac GTO Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Moving forward, looks good. That's the way to do it then you know what you have and that it's done right.

I used the Eastwood Internal Frame Paint to get inside the frame areas that were boxed. I used about 3 cans on my '68 Lemans frame which has the open side rails. Your convertible are boxed, so it may take 4 cans, but I'd start with three. The stuff is runny and it was green in color - at least mine was. So you want to use this before painting the outside of the frame. Obviously you can paint over it as well if you do it after frame painting - which is what I did.

Was the 4-speed added? Add to your list "Rear Upper & Lower Control Arm Braces." The 4-speed cars had these factory installed. It ties the upper control arm to the lower control arm using the control arm bolts and adds stiffness to the frame and is a plus if you plan on exercising the HP with the 4-speed.

You can go repop and get a set that is like the original or aftermarket. I went with a set from UMI which are tubular, have a bend to clear the floor pan, adjuster nut to adjust length should there be anything out of alignment, and new bolts/nuts. The factory are fine and should be used as a minimum. The UMI pieces are more money, but much heftier.

Not knowing what HP/TQ level you are looking for if you rebuild the engine, but keep in mind the 10-bolt is good, but once you go over stock HP/TQ numbers and then add wider/sticky tires and/or a posi you can break them. I have wailed the heck out of them with stock engines and never had an issue, but single leggers and the old bias-ply tires so the tires would just light up and smoke rather than grab. Left nice burn-out marks on the pavement. LOL
I’ll take a look at the braces, thanks for the heads up. Plan for the car is just a family cruiser. If it was a hardtop I might've gone more HP. It was an original automatic car, good observation there, and probably a good reason it didnt get wrapped around a tree or beat up even more. All the parts used to make the conversion seems to be original, its like someone had a four speed parts car and swapped it all over. I still need to clean up the rear end and see if I still have the original auto rear end.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Got the frame sandblasted and painted. My first batch of frame parts came in today and the disc brake setup should be here today. Overall the frame looks good, there were a few small spots that had to be fixed but no major rot issues, happy about that.

The project will have to wait a little. I have some mule deer hunting to do and the holidays coming up. It’ll be slower stuff these next two months I think. Just some basic reassembly, bushings to press out, control arms to sand blast and paint, stuff like that. Hoping to have the frame all back together by the end of the year but we’ll see.

6178CDE3-6AC7-4C0F-8DB1-7DABB7E357BD.jpeg

4FAAB696-56BB-4E3A-B95B-16E4E5581F1D.jpeg

21 - 22 of 22 Posts