Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of quick questions about the correct color of some chassis components on my 67 GTO. I'm in the midst of a full frame off resto and am trying to restore it to near concours quality, or at least show room quality. Does anyone know what color Pontiac painted the rear diffs on the GTO in 67? I'm not sure if it was black or cast iron. Also, what color did they paint the coil springs and steering components (center link, tie rods, swaybars, etc)? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
I have a couple of quick questions about the correct color of some chassis components on my 67 GTO. I'm in the midst of a full frame off resto and am trying to restore it to near concours quality, or at least show room quality. Does anyone know what color Pontiac painted the rear diffs on the GTO in 67? I'm not sure if it was black or cast iron. Also, what color did they paint the coil springs and steering components (center link, tie rods, swaybars, etc)? Any help would be appreciated.
GM Chassis black for all of the above. It is a low gloss black, almost a satin. Not full flat black, though.
:agree

Eastwood Company has a near perfect match to the 60% gloss used by the factory. Please post pictures of this restoration if you have a chance,

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GM Chassis black for all of the above. It is a low gloss black, almost a satin. Not full flat black, though.
Cool thanks. That's what I was leaning towards; I found some great detail photos of the Thom McAn GTO that shows the chassis close up. I have a gallon of the GM chassis black which is what the frame is painted with. I'll post up some pics asap.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some pics so far:

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far I have the front suspension put together, and all the brake and fuel lines plumbed. I'm currently working on cleaning and painting the engine, trans, diff, and steering components. Here are the pics I found of the Thom McAn car: 1967-PONTIAC-GTO-THOM MCAN-NAPOLI CLASSICS-(203) 668 7797

Here's some more my plumbing:

Attachments

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Beautiful work.........I'm impressed with the rivited upper ball joints. Most folks just bolt new ones in...correct for a service replacement, but not "factory". Your springs and control arm shafts should be black to be "original". The silver/cad look looks good to me, though.................

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to paint the springs black. I didn't know that the control are shafts were black too. I guess that's one of the differences between Pontiacs and Chevys from that era. My brother has a 68 chevelle that is restored to 100% factory specs and much of the suspension components are cast iron color, including the diff. From what I'm finding, most of the pontiacs had all of that painted black.

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
WOW, really nice, wish mine was that far along.....:(
Jeff, you can get bolts for the upper ball joints with the heads that replicate rivets. The nuts are mostly hidden underneath. I have them on my winter wish list from Ames....:D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are correct about the factory A/C. It's actually a very nicely optioned car. It's got power steering, power disc brakes, AM/FM, rear speaker, power antenna, and TH400. I kinda wish it was a 4 speed car though. Thanks for the compliments guys.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Update: well I finally got some of the front end issues straightened out and have reassembled and painted the diff. I'll try to get some pics up this weekend. Issues I've been dealing with (for those interested) are finding good, unboxed reard lower control arms, having to replace my axles, finding a correct centerlink, and rebuilding the rear brakes. I've decided to go a little crazy with the resto, so aftermarket stuff is pretty much out. Here's some of my advice/findings:

1. While I'm using a lot of Inline Tube parts, they're rear brake kits have some issues. They're backing plates don't have the adjuster holes punched in the backing plate or the drum, so there's no way to adjust the rear brakes. So I restored my original backing plates and used the new internals. Nice thing is, now the Delco stamp is there and they look more original/correct. Otherwise, I really like the Inline Tube parts, especially they're bolt kits and lines.

2. I've gone through multiple sets of tie rod adjuster sleeves b/c the outer tie rod was threading crooked only to find the outer tie rod was not cut with the correct threads. Beware of cheap repo tie rods, especially the inner ones. I ended up restoring mine.

3. Front end steering components were originally black, as I noticed while sanding them. You were all right; thanks guys.

4. Aftermarket sway bars look completely different, and none are the correct size. If you can restore yours, do it. Idler arms have the same problem.

5. To my surprise, I had to replace my axles. The bearings had worn into the axles causing excessive play. Another nice $400 surprise I didn't expect. Aftermarket axles have a very different appearing hub/end, but i really didn't have much of a choice.

6. Finally, some one reproduces the original 2-piece front disc brake rotors! Cheap too: $209/pair. Of course this happens 1 month after I spent $200 on a pair of aftermarket replacements, but nonetheless, they are available. I'll post pics soon. (Not important unless you want to go 100% original).

Bottom line is, with a little TLC, original parts can clean up well, and keep your car original. Again, I'm going for a completely originally resto, including frame/parts decals, etc., probably over-restoring. I'd like to document as much of the resto as possible, so if anyone has any info, feel free to post it, especially frame detailing and inspection markings. I haven't found any good 67 frame off resto guides online, so I'll try to do it here. Suggestions and criticism welcome.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are some crappy pics from today using my phone. I'll get better pics tomorrow, hopefully. Another aftermarket issue; the upper control arms have a different contour where it mates to the bushing on the diff, and has a reinforcement plate welded to the bolt holes. Not really visible when totally assembled, but different from original. The trans just needed a little cleaning and detailing and new seals. I sanded and cleaned the pan, then cleared it. The rest of the housing was painted with alumablast.:

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The rear axle housing is only primed in these pics. I painted it with GM resto black (60* gloss). I painted the backing plates with Eastwood phosphate black. Here you can see the hub/end of the axle. It's flat/flush instead of that cupped and cast look of the originals. Again, no one should be able to see that.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
I'd like to document as much of the resto as possible, so if anyone has any info, feel free to post it, especially frame detailing and inspection markings. I haven't found any good 67 frame off resto guides online, so I'll try to do it here. Suggestions and criticism welcome.

Feel free to use the Photo Gallery, any pictures you upload can be accessed with the "My Photos:" link under your avatar.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Attachments

1 - 20 of 105 Posts