Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking I need to change the fuel pump. I've got an oil leak at it's gasket. It also lets fuel drain back down through it when not running.

How difficult is it to replace? It doesn't seem like it's that hard, but looks can be deceiving.

Thanks again for any help.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Fairly easy. Disconnect and PLUG the fuel lines. (note which line goes where) Unbolt the pump and pull straight out. Clean and prepare gasket surfaces...reverse procedure to install.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds about what I thought. Thanks.

Hey... Odd question.... Do people swap them out for electric pumps? Any advantage to doing that?

Also... Is it normal for fuel to drain back into the tank through the pump or is that a sure sign this one is shot?

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
it is not normal for fuel to drain back to the tank like that. You could have a bad pump or carb problems....or a leaking fuel line between the tank and pump. Electric pumps are mainl used for High pressure/ high volume applications and for fuel injection....stick with the mechanical one for your car.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
When replacing the pump, if it's hard to align the holes, rotate the engine 180 degrees to get the pump off the pump lobe on the cam, just bump the starter til it bolts up easily.
I wouldn't go to an electric pump.
I just put a new motor in my 70 and used the old pump and it takes a bit to start the car, so I have the same problem. But, I swapped carbs and am blaming that, but am going to swap out the pump as it is cheap. Probably just junk stuck in the check valve.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just ordered a new pump from Ames Performance as well as a few other goodies.

Its got the early model pump without the vent tube.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dang... Ames Performance is quick. I order it this morning and just received the UPS tracking number. I will likely get to swap the new pump in this weekend.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fark...

Something isn't right.

First.... The pump Ames shipped had the outlet going out the side rather than straight out the bottom. So I wasn't able to reuse the steel fuel line.

So... I made a new one and gave myself a crash course in line bending. That was a hoot... I hope I didn't restrict the flow with the bends.... Fark... Maybe I'll call Ames about the pump and see if they have one like the pump.

Second... I think I may have installed it wrong. The car will run but it doesn't fill the fuel filter like the old one did.

I'm gonna tear into it again on Sunday. :(

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why not just get one from NAPA, it's where I got mine.
None of the local stores had them in stock. They would charge me shipping and tax whereas buying from Ames I just pay shipping.

Anyway... The line I bent should be fine. It's not pretty but it is kink free. I think I have the pump arm on top of the pump cam(?) rather than below.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yup... I called them last week before ordering from Ames. They were gonna charge me shipping to special order the part.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok... Weird...

Before pulling the car out of the garage today, I opened the hood and verified that the clear plastic fuel filter was indeed nearly empty.

As expected the car was difficult to get started. Once started I backed it out of the garage and put it up onto the ramps.

After shutting it off, I opened the hood and the filter was full of fuel. I was surprised because when I did the work on it last Friday it never did fill the filter with gas. You could see it spitting into the filter.

So... Is it possible some crap from the tank or within the line broke loose and partially clogged the pump/line somewhere and restricted fuel flow?

I'm gonna fire it up and head to the auto store for a couple new fuel filters. I wanna change this one out and keep a second one handy here in the garage.

I'm glad I don't need to pull this pump back off the engine and yet perplexed as to why it works now but didn't on Friday.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Sounds to me like the car needs to be taken on a good drive to clear the crap out of the various systems.....check the little filter that is built into the carb inlet..........

1 - 20 of 22 Posts