Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
Glad to have just joined the board. I just purchased a '67 GTO that I'm finishing to surprise my dad with as a gift. He bought a new one back in '67 and lost it because he enlisted in the armed forces during Vietnam and couldn't afford it... He has been so good to so many people (including me) and seems like he's gotten screwed over and over. I planned this for years and I'm very excited to get this to him in the next few months.
I picked up a solid 67 with fresh paint, needs interior, supposedly has fresh engine (389 built) and trans. I plan on buying a salvaged '04-'06 to take interior, engine, trans, rearend, wheels/tires, etc. to put in the '67. I will need a few trim pieces, etc. and would appreciate any advice on websites, etc. to find deals. I know about yearone.
Thanks! Pics to come..

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Also Aimes, OPG, Inline tube for anything brake related. Those GTO seats will need fabricated tracks and wiring if electric to make them work check CrustySacks thread in the archives. The back seats will need fab work to make them fit and look good. Engine/Trans/Rearend will be major undertaking. If its freshly painted and has a good engine in it, why not do the interior back to spec like your dads was when he bought it.
Used seat cores 200-400
new foams and covers 500
door panels 250
carpet 200
headliner and package tray 200

the look on your dads face when you give it to him.....PRICELESS!

its great what your doing, if you go the resto mod route he may not get to drive it for over a year....stock interior is a weekend project. Wheres my manors....welcome to the Herd...:cheers:D lots of great advice and knowledgeable people around here jump in and have fun.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
What a caring and terrific thing to do! Welcome to the forum, and please when you "spring it on him", tell him there are lots of folks out here who appreciate his service.

Bear

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
:agree.....and if you want to save a lot of time and fabrication buy a full interior from one of the LEGENDARY INTERIOR dealers...it will look factory new!:cheers

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I thought about keeping it as is mechanically and doing the interior stock but, I want to make it a touring/cruiser so he can drive it on long trips if he chooses. I'm gonna try to video it when I give it to him. Will put on youtube... I can fabricate/weld very good and one of my good friends is a good mechanic, we're gonna try to tackle it in 3 months or less.
Thanks Again, will keep yall updated.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Thanks guys! I thought about keeping it as is mechanically .....
That's my vote... or if it's the orginal engine (which would be a 400, not a 389 in 67), perhaps "save" that one and at least build a real Pontiac for it instead of one of those LSheviy's :D --- or stroke the 400 into a 461 that'll make enough torque/power to paste a BIG ol' grin on his face.(that's what I did with my numbers-matching 400 in my 69). Depending on your budget, if it's an automatic then you could consider putting in a Gear Vendors Overdrive --- best of both worlds: neck-snapping torque AND highway cruise-ability.

Bear

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Goatcheese, you're doing a noble thing, and I shake your hand for it. Excellent. FYI, I've driven GTO's for all of my adult life, and have put 100's of thousands of miles on them. They are reliable, comfortable cars in stock form. I have driven my '67 convertible cross country, to Yellowstone Nat'l park, to the Grand Canyon, etc, several times. I've put 120,000 miles on this car since I bought it back in '83. Currently, it's running its original 400 engine with later vintage lower compression heads, so it runs fine on low octane pump gas, and it has a freeway friendly 2.56 rear gear that lets it run 75mph at 2450 rpm and get over 20mpg at that speed. I'm just saying that an original or mostly original car is much easier to "build", and they really perform well. A simple conversion to lower compression, a disc brake upgrade to the front brakes, and a couple of sway bars, and you basically have a car that drives like a '90's Impala SS, but with way more power and better handling...I won't even mention looks!!!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
i admire what you are doing for your dad, but i agree with geeteeohguy. long car trips werent invented in 2004. good luck however you do it. pics are a must! :cheers

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Like has been said, what you're doing is terrific BUT..........I bet your Dad would appreciate the car much more in stock form, as he remembers, than a highly modified, skin deep '67 GTO. Obviously I don't know your Dad but I get the impression you're building it more to your liking than his. I could be totally wrong about that, but as an "older" guy that came of age in the 60's muscle car era, I build all my cars as close to original as possible on a limited budget.
If you're really serious about this conversion, check out LS1.com Performance & Technical Information for everything involved with the conversion. 3 months of full time work might get it done but only working evenings and weekends will consume more time. This is a MAJOR undertaking, especially the rear axle transplant, as I don't believe it's wide enough for an A body.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Guys,
I haven't checked this in a few days so forgive my tardiness. After talking with a couple buddies and messing with it a couple times I have decided to give the 389/th400 a chance. It already has hooker headers, edelbrock intake/valve covers/carb, and it all appears to be fresh. I still need to get some mufflers on it, tune it, then really take it for a spin. Some of you had it right about me building it more to my likings ;).
I'm gonna spray it with a new cream paint that will look very nice. My dad's was cream... I have to get carpet, door panels, some window trim, grills, headlights/buckets, disc brake kit, etc. Any advice on where to look besides ebay, craigslist, or yearone?
Thanks Again, pics coming soon..

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
What a great project. You say it has fresh paint. What color is it now and is it a quality job? Could you post some pictures. It would be fun to watch this come together in pictures and you could present the picture album to your dad. Are you doing this build in your garage? Is it a total supprise for him. Did his original have a 400 or a 4 speed. You could stick (no pun) a Tremec in it and use your weld/fab skills on the tunnel modifications

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Too Many Projects!!!!!
figmoman, It is a total surprise that I'm jumping through hoops to not let him know about it till its done. I am taking pics. It's bright red now but not top quality paint job. Not bad but, a buddy of mine is Very good and probably wont charge me more than a 6 six pack..
His original did have a 400 w/4 speed but as most "older" guys ;) an automatic will be more enjoyable.
I'm starting to think I'm gonna have to get my own Goat when I'm done with his. I do have a 4th generation Nova that I drove/raced in high school that's been sitting for over 14 yrs. that I'm planning on jumping on after this.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
good choice to keep it "old school" i am sure it will bring him back a flood of memories, and its much easier to hide a car still attached to its frame.....:cheers

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Thanks Too Many Projects!!!!!
figmoman, It is a total surprise that I'm jumping through hoops to not let him know about it till its done. I am taking pics. It's bright red now but not top quality paint job. Not bad but, a buddy of mine is Very good and probably wont charge me more than a 6 six pack..
His original did have a 400 w/4 speed but as most "older" guys ;) an automatic will be more enjoyable.
I'm starting to think I'm gonna have to get my own Goat when I'm done with his. I do have a 4th generation Nova that I drove/raced in high school that's been sitting for over 14 yrs. that I'm planning on jumping on after this.
Hmmmmmmm............I much prefer 4 speeds in my cars, them having been the dominant trans in the muscle car era.

That Nova will be the perfect LSX project. I did a complete aftermarket subframe and LS1/4L60e conversion on a '69 Camaro last summer. Much easier to do all the chassis fabrication with it off the body.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
So my dad came up to Colorado to visit for a few days and I needed to get the Goat to my friends about a 1/4 mile down the road. Had to drive it with open headers through the neighborhood at 9pm :). Alternator wasn't charging battery and ran out of gas before getting there but with determination got it done.
While my dad (Ronnie) was here I pointed out the nice Cream paint on a PT Cruiser and asked him if he thought it would look good on my Nova. He said Pearl White would look better so, looks like we're going with Caddiliac Pearl White! Will look sharp!! Wondering if I should go Black, White, or Red interior? What do yall think? I think the original interior was White but, guess that doesn't matter since it all has to be redone and the exterior will be different.
This weekend we plan on getting the exhaust on, new radiator, set timing, check alternator and take her for a spin.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
i would think black/red, white on white too bright for me. i was looking at that pearl white the other day and wondering how it would look on a vintage car, guess i will get to see....:)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts