Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the grill header panel supposed to be flush along the entire length of the core support? I have a gap between the grill header panel and the front-center of the core support (where the wrench is) that I suspect is from a front end collision as the nose panel does not meet correctly at the bumper and grill inserts. Just checking before I start to reshape the core support to fix the misalignment at the bumper.

20210531_133633[1].jpg
20210531_133557[1].jpg

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Mine has a slight gap, but nothing like yours. I also see where the front nose piece on yours seems to be bent in quite a bit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Colorado! I think my nose piece is good and straight, but the upper core support panel is likely bent down causing the mismatch at the bumper. My thoughts are to convince the upper core panel upwards along it's entire length and that should bring the lower nose back forward. I'm just not sure if I should try to massage that gap out.

Any other examples out there?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Cleary way out of spec looks like somehow the lower portion was pushed inward causing the top center section to peak upward.
I don't think you'll have any luck trying to correct it without disassembling the grill/header sections.
FWIW I have access to 3- '67's and none of them have this gap issue.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jr! The car is coming completely apart this year and the panel correction should be pretty straight forward. I've restored a couple cars and I've, finally, learned to fix these type of things when it's coming apart...not after it's painted.. Doh!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Just for further reference, here is one of the '67's outside and needing a bath I might add ;)
Anyhow the top center has about enough gap to slip a nickel under it.

Cheers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent INFO, I really appreciate the effort you have made to answer my question and take photos!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts