Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just acquired my 67 GTO and love it! Two questions though: the hood soops are not functional. Is there an easy way to cut out the sealed openings and convert to Ram Air?
Is the hood tach integral to the hood or is that an add-on that is done after-market. Thanks for any help you can give!

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
The hood tach is separate piece factory installed,not so sure about the scoop but you will get the answer

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have opened the scoops by hand with a high speed drill and grinder, but I’ve seen it done several ways. The easiest and cleanest is to buy the kit from Ames. They will have all you need except to cut the reinforcement metal behind the scoop intake on the inside of the hood. Welcome and enjoy your goat!

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have opened the scoops by hand with a high speed drill and grinder, but I’ve seen it done several ways. The easiest and cleanest is to buy the kit from Ames. They will have all you need except to cut the reinforcement metal behind the scoop intake on the inside of the hood. Welcome and enjoy your goat!
Thank you!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Unless you're going for the RA look I wouldn't open it. If you do decide to do so, I would not cut my OE scoop.
Buy an aftermarket scoop and have at it. IIRC cutting the underside of the hood bracing is only if you will be using the Pan.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless you're going for the RA look I wouldn't open it. If you do decide to do so, I would not cut my OE scoop.
Buy an aftermarket scoop and have at it. IIRC cutting the underside of the hood bracing is only if you will be using the Pan. View attachment 135969
View attachment 135970
Thank you. I was more thinking that it would be helpful during FL summers to help with any over-heating issues

·
Registered
830 Posts
It's my understanding that the placement of the scoop wasn't/isn't really optimal for cold air intake so not sure it would prove itself worthy.
You might do a hot day control by taking some readings with and without your scoop installed to see if it has any real effect??

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Jr is right about the scoop design, they finally got it right on the 71 and 72 design which to me looks like they copied the Shelby Mustang. Looks like you need to investigate the cooling system, fan , shroud, radiator etc . Ram air is cooler air for the carburetor intake system on the engine

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jr is right about the scoop design, they finally got it right on the 71 and 72 design which to me looks like they copied the Shelby Mustang. Looks like you need to investigate the cooling system, fan , shroud, radiator etc . Ram air is cooler air for the carburetor intake system on the engine
Thanks. It doesn't appear to have any issues and has always been a SWFL car. I was just thinking it might add a cushion of safety. This has definitely educated me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts