Pontiac GTO Forum banner

67 GTO Recommendations for 4 Speed

2K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  Baaad65 
#1 ·
My 67 has ceramic coated headers and exhaust system that fit super tight to my starter, oil pressure switch and clutch linkage. Wondering if anyone else with a manual tranny has found a better way to create space using particular headers or manifolds? I'm not into racing my car so if creating some distance lessens horsepower, I'm not concerned.
400 ci 4 speed. Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise.

#3 ·
My 67 has ceramic coated headers and exhaust system that fit super tight to my starter, oil pressure switch and clutch linkage. Wondering if anyone else with a manual tranny has found a better way to create space using particular headers or manifolds? I'm not into racing my car so if creating some distance lessens horsepower, I'm not concerned.
Normal - at least you did not have to take the big hammer to them.

Many will go with a mini-starter which is much smaller in size and packs good torque. Many will go with the RobbMc mini-starter ad you can clock the solenoid in different positions and you can clock it downward to get it away from the heat of the tubes. However, this will require some lengthening or replacing of the wiring when you clock the solenoid downward.

Oil pressure switch might be able to use a 90 degree brass elbow instead of coming straight off the filter adapter. Don't over tighten any fitting or oil sender into the housing as it will crack it. They are pipe threads and will tighten up as you snug it down with reasonable force. Do not put teflon tape on anything as the sender has to ground to operate. If you had a mechanical gauge, there is a port on top of the rear block next to the distributor. It uses and allen plug. It can be really hard to remove if it has never been removed and you can mess up/round off the hex edges, so treat it like a stuck bolt with some penetrating oil and some heat cycles - if you go that route. Then use the correct fitting in place of the allen pipe plug and then the oil line end fitting goes into it. I believe a kit will have all the parts needed, but has been many years since I did mine, so memory isn't helping me.

Clutch cross-over shaft as long as it is not hitting and you can get the full pedal throw out of it, you should be good.
(y)

#5 ·
Normal - at least you did not have to take the big hammer to them.

Many will go with a mini-starter which is much smaller in size and packs good torque. Many will go with the RobbMc mini-starter ad you can clock the solenoid in different positions and you can clock it downward to get it away from the heat of the tubes. However, this will require some lengthening or replacing of the wiring when you clock the solenoid downward.

Oil pressure switch might be able to use a 90 degree brass elbow instead of coming straight off the filter adapter. Don't over tighten any fitting or oil sender into the housing as it will crack it. They are pipe threads and will tighten up as you snug it down with reasonable force. Do not put teflon tape on anything as the sender has to ground to operate. If you had a mechanical gauge, there is a port on top of the rear block next to the distributor. It uses and allen plug. It can be really hard to remove if it has never been removed and you can mess up/round off the hex edges, so treat it like a stuck bolt with some penetrating oil and some heat cycles - if you go that route. Then use the correct fitting in place of the allen pipe plug and then the oil line end fitting goes into it. I believe a kit will have all the parts needed, but has been many years since I did mine, so memory isn't helping me.

Clutch cross-over shaft as long as it is not hitting and you can get the full pedal throw out of it, you should be good.
(y)
Thanks Pontiac Jim. I knew someone with far more expertise than I would have some valuable comments to make. Thank you for being explicit and your thorough response. Much appreciated!!

#7 ·
Follow my recent threads for some advice.
The consensus is that Dougs are the way to go if you don't want RAR manifolds

#10 ·
My 67, with Dougs Headers and a mini starter, has plenty of room, everywhere. That being said, if I ever remove the headers or engine, I will be replacing the headers with Ram Air manifolds.

They're much cheaper, much easier to install, require much less maint, and the performance is near identical
Army, do you know if Ram Air sells a model that will bolt to Edelbrock Performer R aluminum heads?

#11 ·
Years ago with a 4 speed '66 GTO, I welded a flag about 2" long to the top leg of the Z bar and drilled a hole in it so the clutch rod from the pedal could connect. This allowed the Z bar to tilt way forward at the top leg, which moved the lower leg rearward, totally clearing the headers. I simply shortened the lower rod and adjusted the upper pedal rod longer. Worked perfectly for the 10 years I had the car. The issue I always had was the bottom leg hitting the down-tube. With the Z bar re-indexed, that bar was 2" further back and hanging in free space.

#14 ·
Promises of the next batch of round port RA exhaust manifolds have been around for years, but so far they remain unavailable. Used sets come up on eBay but the prices are insane.

Anyone ever wonder whether the very often repeated phrase that cast iron RA manifolds are said to flow almost as good as headers might be incorrect? Ever wonder how a small passage cast RA/HO iron manifold with sharp 90° bends and small passages blended together quickly are said to perform as good as mandrel bent 24"+ long tube headers flowing into a 3" collector?

We have a yearly dyno day with the GTO club that has been going on for several years and we have about 20 members each year that allow their vehicles to be abused on the chassis dyno, and the resulting data presents a definite pattern. In short, stock log manifolds and exhaust really suck, and the RA cast iron manifolds come in about 80% to 85% of long tube headers with similar cams and engine builds. Furthermore, the cast manifold performance drop isn't at just the top of the RPM range, but the loss is consistent throughout the power range. Torque in the 3,000 range also shows a good hit. Somehow people think that the loss is only at the top of the RPM range, but that is not true. What we end up with in creating the performance list after the runs are tabulated is the bottom positions are cars with stock exhaust, the middle of the list are the RA/HO manifolds, and the top cars all have full headers (most of which are Doug's Headers). As far as our 2023 list, #1-13 top spots are header cars, #14-18 are cast iron RA manifolds, and #19-22 are log manifold cars. Not a big sampling, but very consistent results over the years. I have a beautiful set of cast iron RA/HO manifolds on the shelf in my garage, but the Doug's are on my car. My Doug's have been on the engine in the blue car for 13 years and the same set of Remflex header gaskets are still on the engine.

#16 ·
Anyone ever wonder whether the very often repeated phrase that cast iron RA manifolds are said to flow almost as good as headers might be incorrect? Ever wonder how a small passage cast RA/HO iron manifold with sharp 90° bends and small passages blended together quickly are said to perform as good as mandrel bent 24"+ long tube headers flowing into a 3" collector?
Yes, I have wondered about it since I first heard it. It made no sense to me... nevertheless, Im no guru, so I assumed that there was data I hadnt seen.

I definitely dont believe that Shorties arent any better than manny's. Dont know about long tubes, though.

#15 ·
Generally speaking, nothing is better than headers for making power. But wait...... There's more to it than that.
I found this discussion on the forum and one other video that address the subject directly.:geek:

#20 ·
Not sure if it's vendor propaganda, but I was under the assumption the manifolds supplied through RAR were US made, whereas the overseas brand were lower grade metal. I'm not in the industry so I cannot make that call.

They are all probably made in China or like the new sheet metal, Taiwan.

#21 ·
I have full length Hedman headers and switched to a mini starter decades ago...got tired of bashin my heat-siezed original starter with a hammer to allow me to get the car running. I also run a remote starter solenoid (a-la-Ford) mounted on the inner fender.

There is still very little room and my rag joint contacts the header when reversing and they make AT removal and oil filter changes epically difficult (not for long on the latter, installing a remote filter relocation in the Spring), but they will stay on for the time being (and I love the tinny sound they make up front).

#22 ·
Some reliable sources Support RAR's claim that they are similar castings to the classic RA repros offered through Ames and other sources. Except, the castings are basically ported and do have better flow numbers than the bare casting offerings. Many of the websites list both as being available until you place in your cart and place order than they are placed in backorder status. You're probably right about the casting location. Just got off the phone with A.P.E. and was told the classic repro's were cast oversees. RAR makes no claim they are cast here, just porting process.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.