Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fuses all checked good except for the instrument panel fuse which controls glove box light, cigar lighter, clock power, and courtesy lamp. It is not blown, just no power. Replaced fuse just to make sure fuse was not blown where I couldn't see it.
Looking at the wiring schematic, it appears that 3 fuses get power from a red wire. Since all other fuses have 12v. why would only the instrument fuse not have power?

In an unrelated problem, or so I think, power windows, wipers, and fuel gauge not working (low fuel light is on, but tank is full).

I replaced the ignition switch with an original '67 switch, but still have the issues with electrical.

Sure would appreciate any suggestions where to start tracking down electrical problems.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Yes, both are indicating no power to the fuse. All other fuses are showing voltage and test light lights up.
Have you tried a "jumper wire?" Simply get a length of wire, attach one end to a known 12V source, and touch the fuse to power up the circuit to see if it will make the lights come on.
If it does, then it may be in the fuse block. Sometimes the 2 halves of the fuse block need to come apart. There is typically a thick grease inside and we have had members in the past simply clean the stuff out to get a batter contact. While apart, you also test the incoming power source and/or use the jumper wire to power up the back side of the fuse. The fuse clips do corrode and do get loose over time.

With wiring problems, there is sometimes no quick easy fix other than testing wire by wire or circuit by circuit. You may have several things going on at once, so tackle each system separately.

Make sure you have all your grounds. A bad or no ground can create a lot of strange problems and you can be chasing power wires when in fact it was a ground issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Verified how power runs thru fuses, flows left to right. Put a jumper on a good known fuse and jumped it to right side of instrument panel fuse with fuse in place. Verified power to instrument panel fuse with test light. Instruments did not come on. This would indicate a ground problem on the instruments. So, two problems, one no power to instrument fuse and with power to instrument fuse probably a bad ground on instrument panel. Will ground instrument panel with separate wire and try jumper wire again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Added a ground wire to gauge cluster. Windshield wipers now work, dash illumination lights work. Clock is not working, but it could be bad. Fuel gauge problem is probably a ground at the tank. Even though you would think that since the low fuel light is on that it has a good ground. Fuel sending unit could be bad, as car has been sitting for 4 years. I pumped out tank of old gas (+/- 10 gallons), and filled tank. I would think that if float is stuck, filling would have knocked it loose....will know more when I get it on the lift and can check out ground at tank.

After moving wires around under dash, instrument panel fuse now has power. Some strange things happen when you wiggle stuff! Just hope wiggling does not UN-wiggle itself!

Thanks for the suggestions PontiacJim!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts