Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a damn shame. An old farmer down the street from me has this 67 gto and just got it back from a restoration. motor has 5 miles on it. while taking it for one of its 1st drives a girl smashed into the back of it at a stop sign (while texting)!!!car has been sitting in the barn like this for the past year. I have gone over there at least a half dozen times to ask about it. Today the old guy was actually there. I looked over the car. appears to be very nice minus all the damage. I can pick the car up very cheap. at the very least it will need both quarters, deck lid, tail panel, roof and trunk repair. and possibly a frame. the title was never branded salvage so its still clear. motor sounds very good. what is ur guys thoughts? I have pics but the site will not allow me to upload them. says security token missing

woody

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
All will depend on whether the frame is bent and where.... to that add in new 1/4's, wheelhouses, trunk pan, tail panel, tail light assemblies, deck panel, trunk lid and hinges, gas tank, rear glass, Rear bumper and bright work, full/partial paint.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
If the frame isn't bent then and you can get it cheap, it is worth restoring. If frame is bent and price is cheap and you are into parting it out for sale it will be worth it. Remember though it may take a while to sell some of the parts.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I wasn't able to see the pictures (could only find a '68 GTO file), but here's what I think: Don't be wooed by shiny paint and chrome. This car needs the same work that a 30 year neglected car would need. Needs replaced means needs replaced: this car will cost much more to repair than the end product will be worth. If the frame is toast, you are looking at a parts car. I wrecked my first car real hard ('66 GTO) and bent the frame. Gave the car to a friend and we put another frame under it. (this was 35 years ago). Bringing the car back, we kept finding bent/twisted/torn components that were the result of secondary damage that were nowhere near the point of impact. So, there is probably a lot more damage than is visible. Personally, I hope it does get restored. I hate to see another '67 leave the party at this late date. Good luck.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
OK.....door/fender gaps look excellent all around except the passenger side upper door gap where the quarter was pushed forward. Rear bumper area looks pretty good. Looks like main impact was at tail light level and higher. I think the frame will be ok or at least easily repairable. The roof also looks repairable. So, a replacement of the passenger side quarter, rear trunk pan, tail panel, trunk lid, and a roof repair. Looks totally fixable to me, and not that bad at all. I love the color (my first GTO (and first car) was Platinum silver), and the rest of the car looks good. I vote for a save. If you can get the car for 5k or less, I'd go for it.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
:agree around 5, worst case if the frames toast theres 7500+ in parts and motor in it. Repairs could cost you 15-20, silvers hard to panel match paint.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
5k is what I believe I can get it for after talking to him. it seams the damage was high and spared the frame but hard to tell without really digging into it. the motor literally has 5 miles on it. my initial thought after seeing it was the same as rukees when I saw the tear in the quarter. I looked in the trunk and there was no seam there. the other car cut it like a knife. I know the parts alone with motor and trans and rear are worth triple the 5k but I would rather put it back on the road. 67 is my favorite but im in the middle of a restore on the 68. I may buy it and put it aside for now. tough call .

·
Registered
105 Posts
5k is what I believe I can get it for after talking to him. it seams the damage was high and spared the frame but hard to tell without really digging into it. the motor literally has 5 miles on it. my initial thought after seeing it was the same as rukees when I saw the tear in the quarter. I looked in the trunk and there was no seam there. the other car cut it like a knife. I know the parts alone with motor and trans and rear are worth triple the 5k but I would rather put it back on the road. 67 is my favorite but im in the middle of a restore on the 68. I may buy it and put it aside for now. tough call .
Good man! Buy it and get it on the road, please please don't let this go to parts :)
Buy it and throw it in the garage or at the very least, put a really nice cover on it that wont flap around. $5k will only be worth 2.5k in a few years so buy it now!!!!! :D

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
What a cryin' shame! :(

Beautiful car and it deserves to be fixed. I'd love to put that in my garage, looks like a not so bad project to me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts