Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I wrote elsewhere the PO transplanted the drive train (engine, trans and Rear) from is old 67 GTO to this 67 Lemans so it might live on. Like a heart donor the recipient does not become the donor. But it does change the recipient. I don't intend to change things back just continue the Lemans rehab. There are no GTO emblems or anything inside or out. (no tribute, copy or clone)

The front clip was off when it went up for sale. The PO bolted the fenders and hood on for transport only. I got the VIN check for the title so its on with the show. I need to get the hot wire and the 1 gal gas tank set back up. I do that to move it between my tractor barn and the garage. The garage is a single car (was a small two car with no work area) detached where we do maintenance on all our vehicles.
I did not intend for a frame off restoration. That always brought to mind a white glove concourse judge checking to see if you have the right date coded hose clamps. There is rot where the rear bumper mounts on the frame. The bumper is fine though must had dirt or something in that crevice. The rear has section of the frame on 67's has looked smaller than the rest of the frame to me. If that is all that is bad so be it replace just that section. But if more is lurking I will replace the entire frame. In the mean time I will work on the body issues I found a patch under the spare tire when the gas tank fell off. 10 gallons of prime 1980's cologne if any one needs it. I will be content to idle the half mile to the local high school for the town car show and parade later in the year. Put her on display in all her rusted glory. That will make four entries this year. The Farmall, Cougar, Beetle and the Lemans, small town fun.

Well you seen the good. I will get pictures of the bad and the ugly soon.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
122 Posts
Nice keep this baby alive. I have two 67 Tempests. Even though they are not GTOs, it is amazing how many comments I get when I take them out. Looking forward to more of your photos.
As I mentioned, my Lemans had far better options, than my GTO does. A GTO was a GTO, because it was supposed to be the supreme Tempest, but a Tempest couldve easily been optioned well beyond the GTO. So now I have a numbers matching 67 GTO, and if a guy with a Tempest was sitting next to me with power windows, a posi, power trunk, under hood light, and AC... He'd easily have the better car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts