Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried looking through the previous posts for the core support but was not able to find what I was looking for. So hopefully my question is not a repeat.

I am looking for the dimension from the top of the core support to the top of the mounting flange (dimension shown in the images). I repaired the core support a few years ago and now getting to mounting the fenders and it seems to be sitting low. The gap at the door looks good at the top and hits at the bottom. I am wondering if I made an error when fixing the core support. One of the images also shows my measurement to be 14.5inches from the flange to the top of the core support.

I did read that it might require shims to get the fender in the proper position but I wanted to double check my fix with a known good part first before shimming.

Thanks for the help!!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I tried looking through the previous posts for the core support but was not able to find what I was looking for. So hopefully my question is not a repeat.

I am looking for the dimension from the top of the core support to the top of the mounting flange (dimension shown in the images). I repaired the core support a few years ago and now getting to mounting the fenders and it seems to be sitting low. The gap at the door looks good at the top and hits at the bottom. I am wondering if I made an error when fixing the core support. One of the images also shows my measurement to be 14.5inches from the flange to the top of the core support.

I did read that it might require shims to get the fender in the proper position but I wanted to double check my fix with a known good part first before shimming.

Thanks for the help!!
I don't have that dimension, but I believe that the height of the core support will affect the placement of the fenders and their gaps to the door/rocker panel. If too high, fenders will be off, and vice versa. So it may be better to hang fenders and then shim accordingly?

Hopefully a member with a '67 will chime in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have that dimension, but I believe that the height of the core support will affect the placement of the fenders and their gaps to the door/rocker panel. If too high, fenders will be off, and vice versa. So it may be better to hang fenders and then shim accordingly?

Hopefully a member with a '67 will chime in.
Thank you for that suggestion! Sounds like a good idea and I will probably do that. I just want to confirm that I am starting somewhat close to the original position... Then shim accordingly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was able to replicate your 14.5" measurement.
If you have new core support bushings, follow what the assembly manual directs for an initial install. One 9781850 (0.060" thk.), one 9781851 (0.120" thk.), one 9781852 (0.180" thk.). for a total of 0.360" shim thickness as shown in the quick exampleI put together. This resulted in a 3/16" flange height above the frame. Original fenders hung perfectly for me. Your result may vary.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle door
Organism Handwriting Font Line Parallel
Automotive tire Wood Grey Tread Rim
Water Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Wood Virginia strawberry Fruit Strawberry Bumper

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
From the factory, there is/were no exact dimensions I've ever seen.
Thus why when looking at the assembly manual image you will note the lower bushing image with multiple shims/washers below it.
Each car will differ slightly. I have parted cars with no shims, multiple shims, and uneven amounts of shims on the left and right.
Setting the correct fender gaps is the factor that will determine the amount needed. They were never perfect.
Motor vehicle Font Organism Automotive exterior Slope

1 - 5 of 5 Posts