Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning Gents,

I have removed my back window in my lemans and found rust through on it. I'm curious as I have purchased a replacement panel, just how exactly do I remove this panel. I would imagine it doesn't just pop out.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
With a grinder or cut off wheel, cut really close the the edge and seams and cut the old one off, then grind the remainder down really close to the sale panels. Then use a chissel in between the spot welds to brake the remainer lose and grind the spot welds smooth. Sounds easy, isn't really, lol.. I did my 70, and now my 66 is in progress for over a year. I hired my buddy to do the welding on it, and rebuild the sail panel corners-hardest part.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep....this sucks. that's a lot of work...what a pain. thanks for the info....I don't know why I was expecting something dramatically easier. I should know better by now.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
When I had mine done, since it isn't 'factory", I had the bodyman fill the seam with weld and "flush it in...should look pretty cool...I hope! Also, there is a special drill bit for drilling out spot welds, MIGHT be easier than a chisel, but I can't say for sure...E

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
excuse the term, but the mexicans who owned the car before me attempted to prime and paint it with house hold paint using a wagner power painter (no I'm not kidding, that is how it was done. its horrendous. and they liked to use a big chisel and hammer instead of doing things right. like putting speakers in the rear window tracks....or punching a hold through the firewall, or putting speakers in the rear accessory panel. or how they used household carpet nails to nail in shag carpeting on the inside of the car. again, no I'm not kidding. scratching my head at why they did half the things they did. horrible. will be working on that in due time.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Yep, nothing quite like a package shelf with 2) 6x9" speaker holes cut in with a can opener! People do some sinful things to cars over 40+ years......

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not just on the shelf, but on the rear panels in the steel. is a jig saw or a sawsall or a torch, or plasma cutter that hard for people to get their hands on? sinful is right. rediculous. I'm still in awe at the house hold paint on the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts