Pontiac GTO Forum banner

67 lower Door Trim Install

8K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  etcmss 
#1 ·
Does anyone have instructions to install the GTO lower door trim on a 67? The Doors are for a tempest so there are NO holes and in the assembly manual it shows how to install the rocker trim, but nothing for the doors. (probably on one of the faded to nothing pages).

Also, when you install the GTO emblems on the rocker, did you need to grind down the emblem tabs so they don’t hit the car? Any tips welcome…

Thanks in advance. :patriot:

#2 ·
'67 GTO lower door moldings accepted several clips, and original '67 GTO doors had at least 2 square holes die stamped into the outer door skin to accept the clips. Believe, I'm out of '67 doors in the door racks, or would get you some pics and measurements. I would pursue buying, or getting a scan out of a '67 Fisher body manual. Still, the best is the exact measurement off an original '67 GTO door.

#5 ·
Try these pictures. If you need something different, let me know.

As for the clips, they twist into the molding and then the spring portion holds them into place. There should be a protruding stud with expanding fingers that go into the holes shown in my attached pictures. I think it is critical to get the up and own height correct and consistent. Side to side won't matter as much.

It will take a few posts to get all the pictures.

Attachments

#11 ·
Does anyone have a pic on how the large and small end pieces of the lower door molding go on the door? I can see the screw goes on from the inside---the end pieces seem to have protruding tabs----do these go against the paint or against the molding?
the pic shows the screw side---the tabs are on the other side.. minor assist please
Gary
Gas Electrical wiring Electronic device Electrical supply Wire

#12 · (Edited)
They go like this...

Rectangle Wood Metal Fashion accessory Pattern

NOTE: see the cut-away (above) in the trim by the star in the blanket...that's where you insert the clip and slide in into position. (likewise on the other end)...

Gas Auto part Metal Nickel Machine

They only go one way. If you insert them in the trim with the triangular tabs facing the other way (towards the end of the trim)...the holes in the door will never line up. If you have to drill your holes and the triangular tabs are pointing towards the end of the trim (the wrong way)...the holes would end up in the door cavity (not good). This is where the hole should land...

Front...

Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Rim Automotive exterior

Rear...

Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design Rim

#13 · (Edited)
updated-----the pic shows the screw mounted on the wrong side. (From below post these plastic tabs should face the trim piece, with the screw inserted from the inside door hole. thanks to Sick 467
my end pieces are a bit different than the ones you provided. Yours seem to have the 2 tabs (top and bottom) that are bent over to slide on the molding back edges. Mine are new from the Ames kit and are not bent over, -they stick straight out. Apparently they go in the square hole. (both Ames and NPD have same product) Motor vehicle Wood Automotive design Electronic device Metal

#14 ·
The timing of this is about perfect. I just received my new clips from Ames last night, but have not had a chance to open them. I'll check them out tonight and see what's up. After looking at your photos again...your first photo shows the screws on the correct side (screw head on the opposite side from the rectangular tabs and on the same side as the lips that goes over the trim edge). I assume the screws can be inserted from either side. If that is the case, the rectangular tabs go against the back side of the trim, fold over slightly, and act as a spring to help keep them in place during assembly.

#15 · (Edited)
This is how mine fit, no folding of the rectangular tabs up against the trim on the wide end, but some bending of the tabs on the narrow end.

Wide end...

Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive design

Wood Rectangle Beige Bumper Hood

Narrow end - I may trim the rectangular tabs down a bit...they are pretty tight, but do fold over with some finger force...

Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Communication Device Gas