Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just bought a 1965 pontiac Tempest Custom (GTO Clone). It has a 67 YT 400 w/ 670 heads. The guy that i bought it from said it had a mild cam (of course he didn't know the specs). He did not know of anything else done to it. Hell he did not even know that it was a 67 motor until i told him. So with all that said. I know nothing about these 670 heads. What fuel do i need to run? It is a street car, daily driver. i have drove it several times already with 92 octane. But please tell me if i am wrong or if I should get new heads for the street. Thank you in advance.

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
You don't know what the compression ratio is and usually if the compression has been lowered to 9.5-1 to run on the new pump gas it is done with the pistons not the heads.
Do you experience pre ignition?
My engine is built 9.5-1 and runs good on 89 octane.
You don't need new heads to run it on the street.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i do not know the compression ratio. Like i said i just bought the car and haven't torn into the motor. So far i haven't had any pre-ignition or detonation. I will find out the compression ratio soon

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
No i do not know the compression ratio. Like i said i just bought the car and haven't torn into the motor. So far i haven't had any pre-ignition or detonation. I will find out the compression ratio soon
Does it run good?
No smoke or low oil pressure?
Why do you want to tear into the motor?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts