Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
New to your site but a long time Olds/Pontiac lover. Recently finished restoring a couple of '70 442-Converts that were done to original specs and last year a Boss-302 @ original specs as well. Just purchased a '67 GTO convert that I want to do something a little different with. Going to do more of a Pro-Street build but want to make sure it is Pontiac powered. Motor-wise I would liek approx 550-600 BHP. My initial thought was a 455 but after having read multiple threads it sounds like maybe starting with a 400 might be the way to go. Looking for suggestions about what makes the most sense to get what I am looking for. Price is not a big issue, much more interested in a quality buiild with the HP I need....thanks for all suggestions and am looking forward to making some new friends.....:seeya:
Scott...

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
Going to do more of a Pro-Street build but want to make sure it is Pontiac powered. Motor-wise I would liek approx 550-600 BHP. My initial thought was a 455 but after having read multiple threads it sounds like maybe starting with a 400 might be the way to go.
Howdy Scott,
Oh yeah --- very doable, and on pump gas too. You're right, a stroker 400 will get you there and be stronger than a 455. Best thing you can do would be to hook up with Jim Lehart at Central Virginia Machine Services, who goes by Mr. P-Body on this forum (and others). He'll help you out, regardless of whether you want a 'turn key' deal from him or want to build it yourself.

He helped me plan my 461 (stroked 400) I built myself, as well as providing and prepping the rotating assembly and valve train. Great guy.

Bear

·
Registered
173 Posts
Bear,

Thanks for the segway... :)-

Uly,

Yes, we can help. We have MANY examples of mid-10 second cars running 93 octane and VERY "drivable". IMO, the Pontiac is the best "street performance" engine from the muscle car era. No other engine can make so much low-speed power and STILL rev past 6,000.

Jim

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, will be in touch.....really looking forward to getting back into the Pontiacs, been a long time and they have always been one of my 2 favorites. (have a real soft sport for 442's;))...appreciate any and all feedback....
Scott...

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
seen that Desert Car Kings show where they did a 442 resto last week....what a playground that junk yard would be, waiting for them to haul out and old GOAT and do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts